Author Topic: Phillips of Londonderry  (Read 14645 times)

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Phillips of Londonderry
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 18:36 BST (UK) »
we are still thinking that george phillips is a connection to john kerr despite the age.

You seem to be determined to connect George Phillips to your family but the known details don't support this in any way.

Going back to that newspaper article-
"George is a member of the local Archaeological and Historical Society, and his fellow historian, Richard Brennan, draws my attention to the public house just behind us. ... A man called John Kerr, who took over the local bar after the McIvor family, was the first person in the village to have a car, and was the proud owner of one of the first Fords ever produced, and yes, it was black. His grandfather George Phillips was the second man in the village to get himself some wheels, only he had a big Austin 12."

"His grandfather George Phillips" is the grandfather of George that is speaking about the area not the grandfather of John Kerr who he mentioned earlier in the same paragraph.

As Shaun says, the dates don't match up. John Kerr (according to 1911 census was born c1855).
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Glendermot/Ballyore/605273

John Kerr's grandfather could have been born c1800 or even a little earlier which makes it virtually impossible for him to have been "the second man in the village to get himself some wheels, only he had a big Austin 12" (a car which began being manufactured in 1921).

It does not say George McLaughlins Grandfather George Phillips.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 18:39 BST (UK) »
And i'm still trying to work out what caused John Kerr to move upto County Londonderry from Tyrone.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 19:46 BST (UK) »
Time-wise the George Philips that owned an Austin 12 could not possibly be the grandfather of that John Kerr mentioned in the article.

Since you are still not listening to other opinions and facts there's really no point in going over and over this again.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 20:11 BST (UK) »
But i'm trying to find the mother of john kerr.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 17 October 13 09:06 BST (UK) »
It's quite interesting to look through the Aghafad ledger pages in the online Valuation Revision Books on the PRONI website.

After Patrick Carr/Kerr's death in 1878 the tenancies went to Rose Carr (not Owen), and then to John Carr, whose name disappears from the books in the mid 1890's.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 17 October 13 20:47 BST (UK) »
So you think this rose kerr is his mother? How can I find their marriage?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 17 October 13 21:01 BST (UK) »
So you think this rose kerr is his mother?

I'm not sure, Owen.  John was a carpenter in Derry city from the early 1880's wasn't he? So I'm not sure how this would work as regards tenancies in Aghafad at the same time 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 17 October 13 21:05 BST (UK) »
So i might never out their mothers maiden name

Offline derrycity

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Owenc,

I am in the same position as yourself, that I am having difficulty in trying to find out information on the Kerrs and the Mellons.

I have went and looked up the Patrick Kerr and Rose Kerr mentioned in this thread (whose maiden name was McGinn) parents of Patrick Kerr (1836) who you have been trying to find out about his wife, if she did have a maiden name of Phillip. They also had a daughter called Ann Kerr(1833) and another son called John Kerr(1839) and they were all born in Drumlester, Beragh, Co Tyrone.

I am not sure if this is correct as you well know there are many other Kerrs from around that area.

I was wondering if you did ever did find out any more information.

Cheers,

Martin