Author Topic: 1907 Kidderminster Obituary/Death Notice  (Read 3578 times)

Offline harr2jas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1907 Kidderminster Obituary/Death Notice
« on: Tuesday 15 October 13 11:05 BST (UK) »
Dear Forum,

I am seeking newspaper article/obituary/notice regarding the death of Joseph HARRISON born 1813/14 Leicester, died 25.10.1907 at St Mary's, Cookley. He lived a long and interesting life owning the King George Pub, Kidderminster, a Nail and Wire Factory at Cookley. I am sure his death would have been noted in a local paper, regards Jason.
HARRISON - Kidderminster/Leicester/Loughborough, BASKERVILLE - Bromyard, COOPER - Wareham, BARTLETT - Swindon Wiltshire, Swanage
COOPER - Corfe Castle, Swanage, Wareham, Steeple
PERRINS and PERK - Old Swinford

Offline avrilw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1907 Kidderminster Obituary/Death Notice
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 November 13 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

my husband remembers a pub called the Royal George. Could that be the one? It has been knocked down now, it was in Kidderminster town - not Cookley which is a village a few miles away.

Avril

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 14:55 GMT (UK) »
If you want to know anything about Cookley try going on their web site & asking if Betty Caswell (the local historian can help you) you also say St Marys Cookley?  the church at Cookley is St Peters

Good hunting

All the very best

Phil
Weston-super-Mare 

used to live at Kidderminster in St marys parish
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jason
Had a look at the Kidderminster Shuttle this morning at the Hive re your two queries. 1) Benjamin Miller you had asked for a look-up in the Kidderminster Times, there weren't any copies of that newspaper and unfortunately no piece on Benjamin Miller in the Shuttle
Much better news on Joseph Harrison - what a useful obituary!

Regards
Jack

From the Kidderminster Shuttle November 2 1907

Death of Mr Joseph Harrison of Cookley
As old and honoured link with the past was broken, when on Saturday, Mr Joseph Harrison passed away at Hurcott Villa, Hurcott Road, at the ripe age of 93 years. He had lived in the reign of five English Sovereigns, and with unimpaired memory could recollect events, which to the present generation form some of the most interesting chapters of English history. About forty years ago he bought the old screw factory, which for many years provided employment for a considerable number of hands, and later established a wire drawing and wire-nail factory, which was closed down some sixteen years ago. Though never prominent with public affairs, he sat for some time on the Board of Guardians, and up to the last evinced a great interest in Church matters.
The funeral took place on Monday afternoon at Cookley, and was conducted by the Vicar (Rev. M. J. Bickerstaff), assisted by the Rev. T. W. Church (Vicar of St George’s, Kidderminster). As the cortege entered the church, the organist (Mr J. Griffin), a grandson, by marriage, of the deceased, played “O, rest in the Lord” and at the conclusion of the service “I know that my Redeemer liveth.” The mourners included Mr Alfred Harrison (brother); and his four sons, Messrs Alfred, Fred, Joseph, and Walter Harrison; Messrs Charles and Walter Harrison (grandsons); Mr Charles Harrison (Kidderminster), Mr T B P, Griffin, &c. The body was laid to rest in the grave of his first wife, who predeceased him in 1884. The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr Church, Kidderminster.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 December 13 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jason

The wire-nail factory was definately at Cookley as Ive seen references to it in the books on Cookley I have writen by Betty Caswell - the lady I refered to in my earlier reply. I dont have time to go through my books now as I shall be going away for Christmas/New Year & this will be the last time I can get to a library computer terminal here at Weston-super-Mare.

That obituary should help you a lot as it contains a lot of info to be going on with

Good hunting

All the very best

Phil
Weston-super-Mare
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline harr2jas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 December 13 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for al the information. I have communicated with Betty in the past and have some of her books, regards Jason
HARRISON - Kidderminster/Leicester/Loughborough, BASKERVILLE - Bromyard, COOPER - Wareham, BARTLETT - Swindon Wiltshire, Swanage
COOPER - Corfe Castle, Swanage, Wareham, Steeple
PERRINS and PERK - Old Swinford