Author Topic: Looking for the Family of Arthur Bailey Born 1819 Bedford  (Read 17005 times)

Offline RobGBailey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the Family of Arthur Bailey Born 1819 Bedford
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 14 March 20 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi terry,

My name is Robert Bailey, I’m a farmer in the Scottish Borders and the son of Anthony Bailey of Spital Tower. We inherited Spital Tower Farney through my granny, Jean Greenshields-Leadbetter, whose family was included in the Burke’s Landed Gentry of Scotland 1950’s.

In that book it shows a bit of my paternal side too. My grandfather, Jeans husband, was a Major Robert Anthony Bailey of the Guides cavalry, India. He was born out there to Major Gilbert Stafford Bailey and his with Constance Elizabeth, nee Clissold, daughter of Rev. Henry Bayley Clissold. Gilbert was also born in India, in Madras to Major-General William Stafford Bailey of the Madras staff corps. William has married FlorenceBayly in Bedford. Florence was the daughter of Rev Edmund Goodenough Bayly, maternal nephew of Samuel Goodenough, Bishop of Carlisle.

William was born in Bedford and lived in St Paul’s Square with his parents,  William Bailey, Surgeon and Sophia, nee Pulley. William the surgeon was son of Charles Bailey and Anne Palmer. This Charles was the wool stapler and twice mayor of Bedford. So your Arthur must have been William the surgeons brother! Anne was the daughter of Benjamin Palmer who seemed to own a lot of property in Bedford. He was the son of Bonham Palmer II.

My family have, since at least Major general Williams time used a griffin for a crest, although I know of no grant of arms or even if there was a shield. Does anyone else know if these Bedford baileys had a coat of arms?

My family have always been close to and claim relation to Lt-Col Fredrick Marshman Bailey, does anyone know how he might be connected to Charles and Anne?

Thank you very much

Offline getstarted

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 15 March 20 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Robert,
I think I originally started this thread ages ago and have managed to do some research since.  It sounds like you have an interesting family tree.
First my name is Leslie Bailey.  I live in Canada and Arthur Joseph Bailey was my great grandfather.  He had a very interesting life although I think he may not have felt that way in the end. 
Arthur Joseph had three wives (probably not married to the first in New Zealand) a daughter Madelaine Jane by Maria Louisa who died in child birth with the 2nd child.  He then married Elizabeth Horrocks.  Elizabeth had seven children only 3 survived.  One of the three was my grandfather - Arthur Joseph.  Elizabeth also died as a result of child birth.  Young Arthur spent time in England & then immigrated to Canada where he married and had 3 children including my father -  Arthur Stanley. 
Yes Arthur Sr was William's brother.  There were many children.  My brother has a ring that was given to him by my father who said it came from his father.  I think there is a crest? on the ring.  I will ask for another picture.
Fredrick Marshman Bailey does have a connection.  His parents were Frederick Bailey and Florence Marshman.  Frederick's parents were Charles Bailey (1803-1865) and Catherine E S Irvine (1811-1865) both died in Hertfordshire, England.
Charles was also a brother to Arthur and William.
I hope that helps.  Who were Anthony Bailey's parents?
Leslie

Offline RobGBailey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 15 March 20 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leslie,
Thank you very much, that’s really interesting. I’m trying to build up a bit of a family tree covering the descendants of Charles Bailey, the Mayor as part of an update of the family history book I have. This book covers my grandmothers family, the Greenshields-Leadbetter of Spital Tower and her mother’s family the Ushers of Norton and Wells, all Scottish families. My father is Anthony Bailey who succeeded as “of Spital Tower” in the 70s from his aunt. His father was Major Robert Anthony Bailey, acting Lt-Col, and Jean Gillespie Greenshields-Leadbetter, daughter of Thomas Greenshields-Leadbetter of Spital Tower and his wife Mary Anne Usher.

This is fantastic to hear from living cousins! I’m only 19 but am taking on the project of the family history on behalf of my dad. A picture of the crest would be great!

There was a Bayley family around Thorney, nearish to Bedford, who’s ancestors where Flemish refugees whose name was de Bailleul. There where over 70 different de Bailleul registered at Thorney throughout the 1700s, each anglicising the name in different ways, including Bayley, Bauyaux and Bailey.Perhaps we are of this stock?

Thank you very much.

Offline angelfromabove

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 13 July 23 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hey, my name is Jessica Bailey and I am wondering if you know who Archibald Frank Bailey is (born 1882 in bedforshire) who had a son named Edward Austin Bailey (born 1904 in Luton) then moved to India and was a British major during world war 2. He had 2 sons with a woman named Norma Monica Crean after they migrated to Australia from Burma!!!! I hope we have some connection because I would love to meet some distant family. I live in Hong Kong but grew up in Australia.