Author Topic: Andrew Lun/Lunn/Lum  (Read 2813 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Lun/Lunn/Lum
« on: Thursday 17 October 13 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    Can anybody please solve the mystery of my great-great-great grandfather? His name on various documents (marriage register, birth certificates, census returns) always varies, as does his place of birth, which doesn't help me much at all despite much research!
On his marriage to his wife Mary (Ann) Stabler in December 1833 at Auckland St Andrew, Durham his name is registered as Ad Lum (Mary's surname down as Stabley). He is also registered as a widower.
From copies of birth certificate of his daughter Ann in 1838 at Auckland St Andrew, Durham, he is once again down as Ad Lun. I contacted the registrar about this and they said they have never heard of a name being shortened before.
Later birth certificate of my great- great grandfather William Lunn in 1847 gives his name as Andrew Lunn, mothers maiden name Stabler.
On the 1851 census he lists his place of birth as Lambeth, Surrey. On the 1861 census he lists his place of birth as Lincoln City, Lincolnshire. On the 1871 census he lists his place of birth as Huddersfield, Yorkshire!
His wife Mary (Ann) Stabler I think was baptised on June 17th 1810 at Romaldkirk, Yorkshire (born Mickleton, Yorkshire/Durham border), daughter of a John and Mary Ann Stabler.
From the census returns I think Andrew was born around 1810 to 1814?
There was an old family tale that Andrew may have been born abroad, possibly Norway, but this may be just imagination!
Any help greatly appreciated!
 :)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Lun/Lunn/Lum
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 October 13 18:53 BST (UK) »
I have found Mary on the 1881 with her son William, Mary is now a widow so Andrew's death should be between 1871 and 1881

1881 census in High Usworth, Durham

William Lunn 33
Sarah A. Lunn 29
Margt.A. Lunn 4
Mary Lunn 65  (widow)

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4984; Folio: 78; Page: 29; GSU roll: 1342199.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 October 13 19:24 BST (UK) »

On his marriage to his wife Mary (Ann) Stabler in December 1833 at Auckland St Andrew, Durham his name is registered as Ad Lum (Mary's surname down as Stabley). He is also registered as a widower.

Is there any other information on the marriage record eg witnesses etc ?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 October 13 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Thanks for the reply! I have most of the census returns for the family. As far as I can gather Andrew Lunn died in 1879 at Hartlepool. I know the family seemed to move a lot between Hartlepool and Hull. On one of the census returns Mary Lunn (Andrews wife) is down as a visitor living with a family in Hull.
His son William married Sarah Ann Snowball (though I can find no record to prove so). :) :)