Author Topic: "Dumfarling" Scotland  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
"Dumfarling" Scotland
« on: Thursday 17 October 13 21:46 BST (UK) »
I've just come across a christening that says my possible 4xgt grandfather was native of "Dumfarling Scotland". Searching for this has brought up practically nothing, save a few odd scraps to do with the Earl of Dumfarling and stuff like that... so I don't know if Dumfarling is an actual place or whether it is an Anglicization or written down how it sounded to the ears of a Geordie vicar... Any ideas?  ???

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: "Dumfarling" Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 October 13 21:54 BST (UK) »
Probably Dunfermline.

As far as I know there is no such place as Dumfarling so it has to be a variant spelling of somewhere, and that is the most likely place IMO.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 October 13 22:05 BST (UK) »
I did wonder if it might be Dunfermline spelt badly (I've had this before when my Welsh line moved to Devon...), but thought I'd check rather than assume. Thanks :)

~ Edit- checking the wiki, it says the Scottish for Dunfermline is/was "Dunfaurlin", which I guess could easily be "Dumfarling". It's a bit of an awkward thing to prove family history wise though, I think that christening is the only hint I'm going to find!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 October 13 09:44 BST (UK) »
Is this from a census? If so, I take it that you have checked the original record?

What is the name and year?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 October 13 13:29 BST (UK) »
As I said, it was a christening. I have seen the BT of the record. The child concerned was James Henderson b.1797 ch. 1798 Newburn Northumberland, son of John Henderson by his wife Elizabeth Atkinson. Unfortunately John was dead by 1851 so if he's on census anywhere, it wouldn't shed light on this.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 October 13 13:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry, you did say so.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 September 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
Reading this back I sound like a bit of a jerk, so apologies a year and a half on!

With the help of somebody with eagle eyes we finally found the 1841 (place of birth Scotland) and I received his death certificate today (dob c.1761). There's an 1762 birth in Dunfermline with parents that are possible but siblings whose names he doesn't use among his known children, which is awkward in my book. Goes to show, sometimes what seems like a dead end can still turn out to have a light at the end of the tunnel anyway!

Ayashi