Author Topic: Saint Audris  (Read 913 times)

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Saint Audris
« on: Friday 18 October 13 15:22 BST (UK) »
Does anybody know where Saint Audris is in Ireland, my great aunt Bridget Cleary was born at Derrinlevan Co Mayo in 1883, her parents were married in Castlebar in 1881, her father coming from Mount Daisy and her mother from Saint Audris, I am assuming it is somewhere nearby but it is not coming up on any reference material.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Saint Audris
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 October 13 21:21 BST (UK) »
The best I can come up with is a place marked on the map linked below as "St. Audra's or Cloonagh" which has several buildings there and lies just below Saleen Lough, a few hundred yards south of Castlebar.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,514557,789003,5,7

If this link doesn't work, it also appears on the map in the Griffiths Valuation website, find Castlebar or Saleen Lough and look to the south.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 October 13 21:36 BST (UK) »
And if the Bridget Cleary was the Bridget Higgins who married Thomas Cleary and who was the daughter of Luke Higgins, I would hazard the offchance possibility that these might be relatives in the 1901 census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Castlebar_Rural/Cloonagh/1583897/

Worth simply noting until you can rule in or out.

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 October 13 09:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information gaffy you were absolutely spot-on with the location. Since my first posting we found on the landedestates.nuigalway.ie website information about a house built during the 1700s called “Saint Audries” in the same location that you have indicated and according to these records was in ruins by the time of the first ordnance survey, so it is pretty evident from the map that the area was named after the house or estate, and even better for my research it falls perfectly into the area that my paternal family appear to originate from.
On your second post you are pretty well spot on as well, the Bridget Cleary (born 1883) we were researching and who was my great aunt is the daughter of Bridget Higgins and Thomas Cleary and went on to marry Anthony Broderick in 1904, so with your assistance everything there appears to have fallen into place.
Thank you once again - GedB

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 October 13 19:20 BST (UK) »
"CLOSED" with thanks