Author Topic: Anyone have a Kindle Fire?  (Read 25470 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have a Kindle Fire?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 21 October 13 17:30 BST (UK) »
I have a Google Nexus 7 too, as a result of Trystan's recommendation, it's great.  :) I also bought a Nook (after asking a similar question on Rootschat and getting no replies from anyone who had one!), It cost me next to nothing and is great for the purpose I wanted it - taking it on holiday and not being too worried about taking it on the beach.

On my tablet I have the Kindle app, I also have the Nook app (and Kobo which I don't use). Websites which list free or cheap books generally do so for Kindle but if you then search on the Nook UK website you can usually find them free too, or at the same price as Kindle. One benefit of Nook is that you can read ebooks that you borrow from your local library. That would be great if my local council stopped living in the last century and got this facility!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 21 October 13 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I have the Kindle Fire HD (using it now), it's great.  I have downloaded the Ancestry app which allows me to view my tree anywhere, anytime.  If you are away from home you can still view your tree without internet access, although you need internet to view the actual records from Ancestry.  Having said that you can download the Ancestry app to any tablet/mobile device.  If you are not particularly interested in watching films, maybe you don't need the HD version of Kindle Fire.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 21 October 13 19:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jool  :)

It's still sounding like the one for me.

I didn't know if the HD was going to be of any benefit but I suppose it is only useful for films, so thanks for your advice.
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 21 October 13 20:01 BST (UK) »
You can still watch films, music videos, tv catchups, play games etc. on the Fire, the HD version just makes the picture quality better, same as TV's.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 21 October 13 20:06 BST (UK) »
Ok, thanks, they do an amazing amount of things  :)
Best wishes HL

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 21 October 13 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi HL,

Just to confuse you even more the nexus as Tristan said is better, saw my son's yesterday he swears by it  says better than my kindle! But then he would!

My kindle is HD and is brilliant I watch films and have BBC I player for programmes miss. At the end of the day just think of what you want out of it. I have lots of music and games. Obviously you can't access net when you out unless you have wi fi connection.

Finally when I got it last Xmas I was not sure I liked it but once I got into it it was everything I wanted. Can use it anywhere in house even in bed.

Jane
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 21 October 13 21:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jane, I will continue to think about this. As you say you have to think what you want out of it.......and I also need "simple"  :)

At the end of the day, you just have to take the plunge and hope you've made the right choice  :)
Best wishes HL

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 11:58 BST (UK) »
It's certainly confusing but in an enjoyable way, HL.

I was in exactly the same position as you this time last year when I was debating which tablet to get.  I spent ages in stores looking, asking questions and fiddling with the ones on display.  I was tempted by the Kindle Fire but in the end I chose another one ..... I went for expense, because I was due a treat to myself, and bought an ipad mini, and I have no regrets whatsoever.  My 12 year old grandson has a Samsung Galaxy, which he says is the best - we have constant discussions about whether his or mine is better but to me they seen to both do more or less the same thing.  The tablets are all great little gadgets and so versatile, without any wires trailing about.  I would hate to be without mine now.

Enjoy looking and choosing - you won't have regrets.

Maggie  :)
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 12:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maggie. I am still debating and will look at the ipad mini also. I'm not going to rush my decision. I know I need fairly simple.....if there is such a thing. I also want to bear in mind the cost but don't want to pay for a facility I won't use or cut corners and lose out on a facility I would use.

The trouble is you don't really know what you want until you try it out, if you know what I mean. So it's good to hear other peoples opinions. :)

I think you're so right though.....I need to visit the store and fiddle and try......and enjoy the process.
Best wishes HL