Author Topic: Anyone have a Kindle Fire?  (Read 25462 times)

Offline Niksmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bermuda 2014
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have a Kindle Fire?
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 13:25 BST (UK) »
Microsoft launched its Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 tablets at midnight Tuesday morning.

iPad Air and iPad Mini: Apple announces new models

Nokia’s Lumia 2520

Just a few of the new tablets released this week !!!!

Irene
Buckinghamshire-Babbs<br />Somerset-Smith<br />Woolwich-Elliott<br />London-Elliott, Hare,Baker

Restorers please do NOT use any restores done by me without my permission

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Irene, I've just googled and realise the choice is grreeeat. Will have to pay the store a visit and talk and play  :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 14:09 BST (UK) »
For instance I am also thinking of going to WDYTYA in February and would like to know if I would then be able to access my tree whilst at the exhibition.

There wasn't Wifi available at the "WDYTYA Live!" earlier this year so you wouldn't have able to access your online tree whilst there.

If you want to use a tablet away from a Wifi hotspot then you'd need to either get one that you're able to put a SIM card into it (for 3G , LTE or HSPA+ ) or get a little MiFi unit (which is something you put a SIM card into), or set up 'Wifi Tethering' with a smartphone (where you set up your phone as a little wifi unit using your phone's 3G connection).

When we exhibited at WDYTYA earlier this year, we were using tablets and had MiFi units that were on the 'three' network. We used Google Nexus 10 tablets on the exhibit, and they worked brilliantly - with over half the battery life left after a whole day's exhibiting.

Sarah has a Google Nexus 7 (it's got a Sim card in it so that she can use it whilst out and about) and it's compact enough to fit in her handbag.

All the best,
Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 14:16 BST (UK) »
....... and iPad Mini: Apple announces new models

Now with retina display.
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 14:24 BST (UK) »
Our library has the facility to download electronic books.  You download them for a period of time just like a normal library book, so it's worth asking at your local library if that facility is available
Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 19:00 BST (UK) »
Our library has the facility to download electronic books.  You download them for a period of time just like a normal library book, so it's worth asking at your local library if that facility is available
Chris

I thought that was a great tip Chris and went to the website for my local library....only to find that a Kindle isn't compatible with their ebook downloads, so that's something to bear in mind.

For instance I am also thinking of going to WDYTYA in February and would like to know if I would then be able to access my tree whilst at the exhibition.

There wasn't Wifi available at the "WDYTYA Live!" earlier this year so you wouldn't have able to access your online tree whilst there.

I'm really shocked at that info Trystan. I would have thought it a pretty basic necessity for everyone there.

That makes me think Sarah's Nexus would be a good option but I wonder if it's complicated. At least I would have known where I was with a Kindle.
Best wishes HL

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 19:26 BST (UK) »
Chris

I thought that was a great tip Chris and went to the website for my local library....only to find that a Kindle isn't compatible with their ebook downloads, so that's something to bear in mind.

Read my post on page 3 of this thread HL!  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 19:48 BST (UK) »

Read my post on page 3 of this thread HL!  :)

I'm so sorry Roobarb   :-[

I honestly did read your reply but it obviously didn't go in my simple brain  ::)

This thread is helping me to realise exactly what it is I need/want......having not been aware of the various facilities that are actually available anyway.

I have just googled Nook and what a wonderful price it is. Well worth considering when you consider that my library would download to that.   (I had never heard of Nook before)

From thinking I needed a Kindle Fire I'm definitely now thinking that a Nexus 7 (which I've also googled) and a Nook would be great.
Best wishes HL

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 20:30 BST (UK) »
I see one of the main retailers has the Kindle HD Fire for £119 at the moment, together with a free £20 gift voucher to spend in the store. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk