Author Topic: Burns family after 1871 census  (Read 1977 times)

Offline ugo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burns family after 1871 census
« on: Sunday 20 October 13 09:59 BST (UK) »
I have a 1871 census for Burns family living at 4 Wightman Street Plaistow West Ham

John Burns 30 (1841) Mariner born Lancaster Liverpool
Mary Burns 27 born Ireland
Susie aged 2 born Middlesex London
John aged 4months Middlesex London

Can not find any more, any ideas please

Offline tomm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Burns family after 1871 census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Ugo

Is this them?

There is a John Burns and Mary Burns in 1881 living in 122 Eldon St Liverpool Lancs

Occupation dock labourer aged 40 but there is no children showing
Sorry, I see John was born in Ireland

Tomm

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 23:57 BST (UK) »
Ugo, can you give any more info you have about them -- how you are interested in them? I assume you aren't descended from one of the kids. ;) Maybe John or Mary is a sibling of your ancestor for instance? Are John's birth details in that census correct?

If John had drowned, being a mariner (or otherwise died), Mary could have remarried, and unfortunately the name is awfully common, and the timeframe, even 1871-1881, too broad. If she were widowed, she might not have stayed in that location -- she may have had family in Liverpool or even gone to Ireland.

Do you know Susie's proper name and do you have details of her birth? There doesn't seem to be a Sus* Burns birth around the right place and time.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline ugo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 October 13 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi JaneyCanuck, I have an interest in Burns & Driscoll family in Poplar, there are a lot of ifs and buts to this couple, I have a marriage for a couple in Poplar, but John coming from Liverpool, does not fit.

There are a couple of deaths for the Burns family in Poplar, which could fit with John going back to Liverpool, found one living with mum Susannah there.

Thank you all for your interest.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 October 13 14:36 BST (UK) »
Sadly, that doesn't tell us anything we could use to try to help out, but if there is anything that might do, just post it up!

... I guess you're saying the John Burns + Mary Driscoll marriage in 1864 is your couple?  And you know the couple in 1871 is them, and you've been able to trace the daughter Susannah.

John being a mariner and from Liverpool ... the docks in Poplar wouldn't fit as a reason for him being there? I know my gr-grfather worked on the docks there in 1871, but I don't know about mariners.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline tomm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 October 13 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ugo

Would it be possible for you give a date of the marriage in Poplar that you mentioned and also
the dates of the deaths in the Burns family please, maybe then we will be able to help you

tomm

Offline tomm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 October 13 14:44 BST (UK) »
 JaneyCanuck

Sorry but you beat me to it

Regards

Tomm

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 October 13 14:47 BST (UK) »
Ugo, you're saying you found *him*, John Burns, living with his mum Susannah in Liverpool?

John Burns, 41, sailor, unmarried
Susannah Burns, 68, widow
both born Liverpool

?

tomm -- 1864, Poplar, John Burns + Mary Driscoll, I'm assuming. ... Aha, you saw that now. ;)

Offline ugo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 October 13 18:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry I did not have the certificate to hand this morning,

John Burns 22 son of  Michael Burns both lab, living at 3 Forest Terrace Poplar
married  Mary Driscoll   17 ,daughter of Edward Driscoll, at St Mary & Joseph's Poplar on the 23/10/1864.

The deaths on a burial site John Burns, West Ham 10/3/1875, Manor Pk 10/5/1877 and 26/5/1879
Mary Burns West Ham 8/7/1879, Have not checked with FRee BMD yet.