Author Topic: Wedneshough Green Hollingworth, Cheshire.  (Read 1120 times)

Offline derrygolagh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wedneshough Green Hollingworth, Cheshire.
« on: Sunday 20 October 13 15:59 BST (UK) »

Hello

This is a long shot but I am looking for relatives of the Walmsley family from Hollingworth, Cheshire who I believe moved to Gloucestershire some years ago.

I have seen a posting which states the above and am very interested to know if these Walmsleys are related to me by marriage as my great uncle John Ernest Boardman born 1883 in Hollingworth married Elizabeth Walmsley born 1884 in Hollingworth.  John Ernest was a Cotton Weavers Overlooker in a Cotton Mill in Hollingworth (probably Albion Mill on Wedneshough Green) but they moved to India sometime after 1911 and he was the Manager of a Cotton Mill in Calcutta in the 1920's.  My grandfather Harry Boardman was also a Cotton Weavers Overlooker in a Cotton Mill in Hollingworth, he was in the Cheshire Regiment during the First World War and died in 1918.     

All my family on my father's side were from that area and worked in the Cotton Mills but as my grandfather died when my father was only six years old, information was very limited.

I would be very grateful if anyone can share any information with me, especially the person who posted about Wedneshough Green, as I am trying to trace my Hollingworth family.

Thank you very much in anticipation.

Liz

Offline Kevin Garlick

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wedneshough Green Hollingworth, Cheshire.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
Not much help I don't think but here goes. My name is Kevin Garlick & lived @75 Wedneshough Green. My friend Tommy Walmsley lived with his parents @#79. When the houses were condemned they moved to King Street across from the Gunn Inn, that would be 1963 or 64. Tommy was 2 or3 years older than I so he would be off to work, ergo I lost track of him. His good friend John Tinker may have more info if you could get in contact with him & family.Sorry I couldnt be more helpful.Good luck Kevin

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
Re: Wedneshough Green Hollingworth, Cheshire.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 September 17 08:04 BST (UK) »
Suggest you put a post on this link
https://www.facebook.com/groups/441352679308358/?ref=bookmarks

It should link to Hollingworth past&present on Facebook, i lived in Hollingworth 1950 to 60s.
Kevin, have they moved the Gun Inn ? in my time the Conservative club faced  King St, nearest pub was the Organ Inn, next door was the Working mans club
                                                     Regards Tony Bacon aka bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester