Author Topic: FAMILY HISTORY  (Read 2246 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FAMILY HISTORY
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 01:28 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if some of the 'facts' that we are working from are not hideously wrong and that's why several of us searching can't find the family in the obvious places. So, backing up a bit...

Norry- what certificates do you actually have?

My gut feeling is that the 3 children were probably born in Scotland. If John, Sr. was actually born in Ireland and wife Nellie in Scotland then it's more likely the children were born there rather than Ireland but of course the family could have moved back and forth. However, there are online resources for both birth and census records covering the period in both countries.

Going to the 1911 census entry mentioned earlier- (Inverness) there's a John Carson (age 15, born Glasgow), Nellie Carson (14, born Glasgow) and Jessie Pearson (5)- could this be the 3 children with Nellie and Jessie born in a different order than was given in the initial post?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 01:41 BST (UK) »
I also found in the 1911 cencus a John Carson aged 15 and Nellie Carson aged 14 which matches there birth dates in Inverness Shire as boarders the same place as John got married 2 Jane Mclean. In the cencus it says they were born in Glasgow.Also in the house was a servant called George Stirling aged 18 and a young girl called Jessie Pearson aged 5 a boarder.

1901 Census- Ardendrean, Kiltarlity, Inverness: boarder Nelly Carson, 4, born Glasgow. In household of James Fraser along with Geo. Sterling, 11.

Possible? 1901 census- Ross Memorial Hospital, Dingwall, Ross & Cromarty: patient John Carson, 6, born Ireland, scholar.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 09:54 BST (UK) »
Might have found John's death in Inverness aged 90 in 1975 which makes his birth date 1885 hopefully this helps I can't access his records now would have 2 order it so may b the girls dates are also ten years earlier could take a wee while 2 order as I live in sweden now sorry about all the confusion as I got the imformation from my aunties tree .

The online family tree that I found lists John as born 1895 Ireland and died 7 Jun 1975 Raigmore Hospital, Inverness with 2 marriages (1st one Jeanie MacLean). Says 1901 he was a patient in Ross Memorial Hospital and in 1911 census "Listed as boarders in the poor house, along with his 14 year old and his 5 year old sisters, Nellie and Jessie. There is also an 18 year old cousin or uncle listed George Stirling."

Possible scenario-
John Carson born 1895 (Glasgow or Ireland)
Nellie Carson born c1897 Glasgow
? John Carson Sr. died and widow Nellie married ? Pearson (or she married after 1901)
1901- John (6) in hospital and Nellie (4) being cared for by Fraser family
c1906 Jessie Pearson born
1911- John (15), Nellie (14) and Jessie (6) in Inverness (mother Nellie dead?)

Would be interesting to see birth certificate of this Jessie Pearson - should confirm if Nellie Stirling is her mother and if so, date and place of parents' marriage

Offline norsman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey and Sinann

I think u r right about all of this. I tried searching 4 the birth of Jessie Pearson but can't get a match with her mother anywhere also tried Nellie's marraige 2 the name Pearson but nothing. I tried the birth of Nellie in Glasgow around 1897 and again nothing also tried the deaths of Nellie the mother and John the father and again absolutely nothing its as if they completely dissapeared of the face of the earth may b they left the children in the poor house and left the country may b England or Ireland.
I definately can't find the parents in Scotland. The certificates I have is John's marriage 2 Jane McLean and I have ordered John's death certificate should get that in a couple of weeks.
 Regards

Norry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 20:53 BST (UK) »
Wonder if John Carson and Nellie Sterling were actually married? if not, children might be registered under her surname not Carson.

Offline norsman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey

Tried that on Jessie and Nellie no matches.