Author Topic: Arrival John Hammer Harry in Australia  (Read 6266 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Arrival John Hammer Harry in Australia
« on: Monday 21 October 13 08:59 BST (UK) »
John Hammer Harry bpt. 26 Mar. 1837 St Mewan Cornwall,thought to have arrived Melbourne Feb 1864 on " Blanche Moore".
However I am now doubting that this is him,firstly because that shipping list identifies him as Irish and secondly a death notice found recently,states that he came to Victoria 1858 rather than 1864.
He settled Eldorado Victoria goldfields.

I am trying to establish when he arrived,perhaps he arrived 1858 rather than 1864.
I have not been able to find him on the 1861 Census Cornwall.

It is said he was 77 when he died 1915.

Can someone kindly assist.

With thanks
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arrival John Hammer Harry in Australia
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 October 13 09:31 BST (UK) »
I can see a John Hammer arriving 13th April 1858 born 1838 on a ship called Arabian aged 20 years old. Nationality English and Welsh. Take Care Lynette
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 October 13 09:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you lynn22.
This sounds very promising.You do mean John Hammer Harry not surname Hammer?
I guess his age need not be exact.His baptism was 1837 at St Mewan.
This would account for him missing 1861 Census.
I don't suppose you can access the passenger list?
I assume it would be English or Welsh.

Very much appreciated.
Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 October 13 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Rex I do mean John Harry I am getting everthing muddled today. I can see it on Ancestry but what I gave you it says exactly Nationality English and Welsh. I cant see the actual passenger list it would be good I will google the ship. Do you know his occupation. Take Care Lynette
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 October 13 10:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you Lynette
He was a miner.
I have been looking at the Inwards Immigration (to Melbourne),both assisted and unassisted but he does not show up on the listing for that voyage.
I wonder how Ancestry has him but not on the immigration list?
Sounds like him.No wonder I couldn't see him.

Rex

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 October 13 10:20 BST (UK) »
Lynette
I found a Ships List for 1858 arrival of "Arabian" but no passenger details yet.

Arabian 1,068 14 : 12 : 01 27 Jan     29 Apr            92 J.M. Burke 105 171 44 45 365 - 3 7 2 12

Rex

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 October 13 10:37 BST (UK) »
Lynette
I recall that it was once suggested to me that his name was mistranscribed as Story.How this could happen beats me.Only way will be to look at the original document not a transcription.

STORY JOHN 20 APR 1858 ARABIAN 13 193 .

Makes it difficult.

Rex

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 October 13 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Rex No I cannot find out anymore than you did but I did have a laugh when I saw the Captain or Master what ever you call him was J.M Burke. Burke is my name I do have a silly sense of humor. Take Care Lynette

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 October 13 10:50 BST (UK) »
Lynette
I can go one better by having the surname Harry.
I have been getting " Harry Who" all of my life.

I will have to try and find a copy of the original document.

Rex