Author Topic: South Australia Death lookup - Griffey  (Read 6678 times)

Offline Marakai

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia Death lookup - Griffey
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sim, welcome to Rootschat  ;D

If you are related to Mary Jane Griffey, then yes we are distantly related.....the trick is though which Mary Jane Griffey??

Jonathon Marshall Collins Perrers (1821-1902) married two separate Mary Jane Griffey's who were cousins. I think you may have merged them as you have the dates (1820-1899)  ;)

His first wife Mary Jane Griffey (1820-1855) was the daughter of James Griffey and Mary Miller, they married in 1843

His second wife Mary Jane Griffey (1814-1899) was the daughter of William Griffey and Elizabeth Clarke, they married in 1856

James Griffey (1789-1870) and William Griffey (1783-1853) were brothers and were the sons of Richard Griffey and Jane Phillips of Bideford, Devon. I descend from William Griffey and Elizabeth Clarke's son William Perryman Griffey and his wife Joanna Pollard. 

Jonathon's first wife had all 6 of their children - Harry Wilson Perrers (1844), Mary Louisa Perrers (1845), William Tardrew Perrers (1848), Amelia Ribouleau Perrers (1850), Rickman Perrers (1852) and Marshall Haward Perrers (1854)

I have not come across an Alfred Harold Palmer Perrers....so would be interested in what records you have relating to him and his possible link to this family.

If you said your father's last name is Hilton, then do you descend from Amelia Ribouleau Perrers & Henry Hilton? I had not chased this family down much past the 1870's births of their children...would love to know how you fit in. I assume you are still in South Australia? I am in Brisbane myself.

I will also flick you an e-mail so we can exchange info, though a word to the wise the moderators don't like us putting our e-mail addresses in posts, they prefer us to use personal messages as then we aren't at risk of spam  ;)

Jenny

Hi Jenny

I have an Mary Griffey ( 1861-1916)and Michael Considine (d 1926) married at Kapunda South Australia in 1889 . Not sure of her middle name but her parents were Patrick Griffey and Margaret Quigley.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marakai...welcome to Rootschat  ;)

I have had a little look at my Griffey's and unfortunately I don't have any Patrick's in my tree. There are quite a number of Irish Griffey's though, and the name Patrick sounds like it is more likely that he is an Irish Griffey rather than an English one.

Do you have any other information on them?

I can see from the indexes that Patrick Griffey and Margaret Quigley were married in 1857 also in Kapunda, South Australia...do you have the certificate? Does it say where Patrick was from?

Australia, Marriage Index, 1788-1950
Name:    Patrick Griffey
Father's name:    Andrew Griffey
Spouse Name:    Margaret Quigley
Spouse's Father's Name:    Thomas Quigley
Marriage Date:    16 Feb 1857
Marriage Place:    Kapunda
Registration Place:    Kapunda, South Australia
Page Number:    64
Volume Number:    29

Do you have Mary's birth certificate? I can see the birth of two children to this couple, though Mary's mother is given as Mary not Margaret.

Australia, Birth Index, 1788-1922
Name:    Andrew Griffy
Birth Date:    20 Apr 1859
Birth Place:    Bakers Flat
Registration Place:    Kapunda, South Australia, Australia
Father:    Patrick Griffy
Mother:    Margaret Quigley
Page Number:    519
Volume Number:    16

Australia, Birth Index, 1788-1922
Name:    Mary Griffy
Birth Date:    27 Jul 1861
Birth Place:    Kapunda
Registration Place:    Kapunda, South Australia, Australia
Father:    Patk Griffy
Mother:    Mary Quigley
Page Number:    200
Volume Number:    23

I can also see a death for another possible sibling...though not a matching birth

Australia, Death Index, 1787-1985
Name:    Susan Griffy
Birth Year:    abt 1868
Death Date:    01 Jan 1874
Death Place:    Bakers Flat
Residence Place:    Bakers Flat
Father's name:    Patrick Griffy
Page Number:    498
Volume Number:    55

Looks like Andrew died in 1939 and his death notice gives a bit more info....

Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954)
Thu 1 Jun 1939
Page 25
GRIFFEY — On the 29th of May, at Lourde's Valley, Glen Osmond, Andrew Griffey (late of Baker's Flat, Kapunda), son of the late Patrick and Margaret Griffey (nee Quigley) and brother of the late James and Thomas Griffey and the late Mrs. Michael Considine, of Broken Hill. Aged 80 years. Requiescat in pace.

And Patrick died in 1894...do you have his death certificate?

Australia, Death Index, 1787-1985
Name:    Patrick Griffy
Birth Year:    abt 1819
Death Date:    28 Feb 1894
Death Place:    Kapunda
Residence Place:    Kapunda
Page Number:    202
Volume Number:    217

The Genealogy SA site has Margaret Griffey passing in 1916...do you have the certificate?
https://www.genealogysa.org.au/index.php?option=com_gsa&view=gsa&layout=essearch&collection_id=death&page_no=1&Surname=griffey&GivenName=margaret&year_from=&accuracy=

You may already have all this though.....as I see you have a tree on Ancestry

In your tree you mention that Patrick arrived in South Australia on the 'Victoria Regia' in 1855.

I also saw another tree on Ancestry that has Patrick having a half sister Bridget Griffey who died aboard the same ship on 26th August 1855 aged 30yrs of small pox. Do you have the shipping record? This tree also indicates the family are from County Clare, Ireland....though there is no evidence of how they came to this conclusion....

Sounds like the poor thing was the only one to die too...

Adelaide Observer (SA : 1843 - 1904)
Sat 17 Nov 1855
Page 5
THE VICTORIA REGIA -This Government emigrant ship arrived on Monday, after a passage of 110 days, from Plymouth. The total number on board was 283, among whom there were some cases of sickness, and alarming reports were spread; but we learn, however, that Dr. Duncan, the Immigration Agent and Health Officer, did not deem it necessary to place the ship in quarantine, and she is now in the stream under no quarantine restrictions whatever, the only cases of sickness on board being a few of low fever, in which the patients are now decidedly convalescent. The cause of the apprehension felt on shore respecting the health of this vessel has been the fact that a solitary case of smallpox made its appearance during the voyage, and terminated fatally. The general health of those on board is good.

Anyway....that may give you something to chase at least.....good luck  ;D

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Just saw this reference about Bakers Flat and Kapunda too which might be interesting  ;)

"The occupation of Bakers Flat began in 1854, when many Irish families came to labour at the nearby Kapunda copper mine, and squatted rent-free on the Bakers Flat land. The settlement persisted until at least the 1920s, set apart from the broader community. Although hundreds of Irish people lived there, the written histories document little about the community and, if mentioned at all, the narrative tends to be a stereotypical one based on the widespread perception of the Irish as dirty, wild, drunken and lawless. In large part this negative narrative was probably stimulated by the refusal of the residents to pay rent or allow outsiders into the community, and their resistance to the landowners’ attempts to remove them."

https://australianarchaeology.com.au/journal/the-occuapation-of-bakers-flat/

also

https://dontforgetyourshovel.com/2013/02/22/what-is-this-place-called-bakers-flat/

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline Marakai

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny
Nice to meet you

The passenger list is here, there were more deaths than just Bridget http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/victoriaregia1855.shtml

I have only just got back on Ancestry but am not paid up at the moment so trying to sniff around for other info which is how I found Roots.

Name
    Mary Griffy
Birth Date
    27 Jul 1861
Birth Place
    Kapunda
Registration Place
    Kapunda, South Australia, Australia
Father
    Patk Griffy
Mother
    Mary Quigley
Page number
Volume Number
Household Members

NameAge
        NameMary Griffy
        NameMary Quigley
        NamePatk Griffy

Mary's Death cert info

Name
    Mary Considine
Death Place
    South Australia
Registration Year
    1916-1925
Registration Place
    South Australia
Page number
Volume Number

I am currently trying to find out info on Patrick's Father Andrew Griffey my third great Grandfather, according to what I have found Patrick was a WheelWright when he emigrated to South Australia, I did not know that Bridget was his half sister so thats something new already and thanks.

Patrick was from County Clare, unfortunately for me Griffey/Griffy is a bit like Smith in the UK or Chong in China around those parts as is Pat so chasing them down is a bit difficult. 

Lot's and lot's of Pat's and Andrews as well.

Bakers Flat at Kapunda seems like a home base for Irish and the Griffeys in my Family tree and I was just re-reading that first article this afternoon,  Lynton is another name that pop's up quite often in my Tree as well as a middle name, not sure where that comes from but there was a Lynton Avenue down that way as well.

Thanks again Jenny
Jeff

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 23 January 20 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the link to the passenger list, it certainly confirms that a Patrick Griffey from Co. Clare emigrated to South Australia in 1855. From the list I would think that Bridget was his wife not his siter, they are listed in the section for 'families', not the single men and women sections where other siblings are listed.

Does it say on his marriage certificate in 1857 to Margaret Quigley if he was a widower or single? This may help with figuring out if the Patrick Griffey on the passenger list is your chap or not...

The reference to Bridget being his half sister was from an unsourced tree on Ancestry and may be a red herring.

Unfortunately death certificates in SA do not give much detail regarding birthplace or parents names. Nor do marriage certificates from that time give mother's names or birthplaces.

Perhaps your best plan of attack is to see if you can find a marriage in Co. Clare for Patrick Griffey and Bridget...

I can see a couple of possibilities immediately....though neither may be correct

One for Patrick Griffey & Bridget Fitzgerald a couple of months before the ship sailed..

Ireland, Catholic Parish Registers, 1655-1915
Name:    Patrick Griffy
Event Type:    Marriage
Marriage Date:    15 May 1855
Marriage Place:    Ruan, County Clare, Ireland
Parish Variants:    Dysart, Ruan and Dysart
Diocese:    Killaloe
Spouse:    Bridget Fitzgerald

There are online images of the registers at the link below if you can't access the ones on Ancestry. It doesn't give much more information on them other than their names and a couple of witnesses though.

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0783

Some info on Ruan, if this ends up being your chap ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruan,_County_Clare

And one in 1838 when your Patrick would have been about 19 years old...though the 30yr old Bridget dying in 1855 may be too young for this one...

Patrick Griffey & Bridget Halleran

Ireland, Catholic Parish Registers, 1655-1915
Name:    Pat Griffy
Event Type:    Marriage
Marriage Date:    Feb 1838
Marriage Place:    Doora and Kilraghtis, County Clare, Ireland
Parish Variants:    Barefield, Doora, Doora and Kilreaghtis, Dury, Dury, Templemaly and Kilbraghtis, Kilbraghtis, Kilraghtis, Kilreaghtis, Templemaly
Diocese:    Killaloe
Spouse:    Bridg Halleian

I see what you mean though...Griffey/Griffy is pretty common in County Clare!

You've got your work cut out for you  ;)

Jenny