Author Topic: First few lines  (Read 2336 times)

Offline jackhonour

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
First few lines
« on: Thursday 24 October 13 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm trying to transcribe a will sent to me. I've never encountered this sort of handwriting before and so wondered if someone could please help me with the first few lines, so I understand how the letters work and then maybe can do the rest myself...

I have managed (well, guessed):

This is the last will and testament of me Tabitha Hewer of Fairford in the County of Gloucester and given unto my son a ?John? Hewer the executors and af?gus all that right and interest in the geux in waiter and now live and in the adjoining house now in the occupation of Joseph Eawudew and in retain ? and ? in the parish of Secuiphow now in the occupation of Abbis Paipp and

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: First few lines
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 October 13 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This is what I can read -

I give unto my son John Hewer his executors and assigns all that right and interest in the house in which I know live and in the adjoining house now in the occupation of Joseph Townshend and in certain houses and premises in the parish of …… now in the occupation of abbis? ..... and ……… which I purchased
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Maza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 October 13 13:02 BST (UK) »
To help with the rest of the will...... f before s (as in afsigns) equals ss ( as in assigns)
Maza

Offline jackhonour

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 October 13 13:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both of you.

I think I should be able to do the rest now. I'll bear the fs=ss in mind Maza, I found some letter combinations (eg.si) look like x which confused me.

Thank you again.

Jack

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 October 13 13:21 BST (UK) »
If you get stuck, post some more!
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline jackhonour

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 October 13 13:58 BST (UK) »
Oldtimer - I've had a go at it all but I think there's probably more question marks than transcribed words!  ;D

Would you please have a look through and see if you can help?

I hope you can see them OK - the pdf originals were too big so I've had to use snipping tool.

Thank you.

Jack

I've put the confirmed parts in bold

This is the last will and testament of me Tabitha Hewer of Fairford in the County of Gloucester. I give unto my son a John Hewer his executors and assigns all that right and interest in the house in which I now live and in the adjoining house now in the occupation of Joseph Townsend and in certain houses and premises in the parish of Kempsford now in the occupation of Addis Phipp and others which I purchased ? ? ? of William an Mary Halrouer. I give unto my son Richard Hewer his executors and assigns my right and interest in a cottage in Hilton End in this parish of Fairford, now in the occupation of Joseph Husto. I give unto my son Jeremiah Hewer his executors and assigns my right and interest in the adjoining cottage in Hilton End, now in the occupation of William Beown. I give the fixtures of that position of my furniture waiter. I give unto my son Richard Hewer for this on a ? my pleasure onto my sons John Hewer, Richard Hewer and Jeremiah Hewer and for survivors of them to be shared between them by my Excrutiex ? warned ? suited fair and equal ? as she may be abaxed by any Swoen ? ? ? may ? proper to rail upon for aberite an assisture. I give unto my daughter Sarah Hewer the executors and assigns all furtniture, plates, books, bedding, ? and other things of whatever description in that part of ? ? ? is occupied by ? and my said daughter Sarah Hewer all my ? deposited in the savings bank at Cirencester and all interest she ? and all my other personal property or whatever description subject ? to the ? of all my just ? and funeral expures and the relarge of proving this my will and I moreover ? and appoint ? my said daughter Sarah Hewer whole and sole executor of this my last will and estimate as witengs my ?this ? say of Februrary 9, 1831. Tabitha Hewer – signed by the said ? in the presence of us. Richard Honeybourne – Frederick & Morgan.

I give unto my three sons John Hewer, Richard Hewer and Jeremiah Hewer the sum of ten pounds eachand I declare this to be the codosil to my will. Bated at Fairford this fifteenth day of November 1833 – Tabitha Hewer.

In the prerogative court of Canterbury.
In the goods of Tabitha Hewer widow deceased
Appeared personally Frederick Horgan of Sion House Clifton in the county of Gloucester and George Honeybourne of Fairford in the said county a watchmaker and made safe that they knew and were well acquainted with Tabitha Hewer late of Fairford in the county of Gloucester widow deceased
for some time previous and to ? ? of their ? and also with the ? and ? of ? and subscription ? ? ? ? write and also outside ? ? and ? wow rarefully viewed and ? the paper writing ? ? ?. I give unto my three sons ? ? ? at Fairford this fifteenth day of November 1833 being ? ? Tabitha Hewer and purpocking? To beand ? a ? to the last will and ? of the said a ???? that ? so easily and in their ? believe the said ? Tabitha Hewer ? and ? ? to the said ? to be a proper ? and subscription of the said ? – Frederick Horgan – George Honeybourne – on the 14th day of May 1841. The said Frederick Horgan and George Honeybourne was ? sworn to the ? of this? Before me Francis William Rice Commifeurer.

Proved at Soubou with a codosil (amendment) 20th April 1841 before the Judge by the oath of Sarah Honeybone (wife of George Honeybone) formerly Hewer spinster the ? ? executrix to whom admon was granted having been first sworn by ? ? to administer.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 October 13 14:30 BST (UK) »
I give unto my three sons ......the sum of ten pounds each and I declare this to be a codicil to my will .....
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 October 13 14:41 BST (UK) »
I am just going out, and will look at it when I get back.

I did quickly notice in the last paragraph it should read "codisil" 20th April 1841 (meaning an amendment)
Later... Maza

Offline jackhonour

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 October 13 14:43 BST (UK) »
OK...thank you Maza