Author Topic: Great great Grandfather uniform identification please  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Mum2randa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great great Grandfather uniform identification please
« on: Friday 25 October 13 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I`m a newbie to Rootschat, but I have been researching my family history seriously for a couple of years now. The tree has some well developed branches and I am now trying to flesh out the ones that are a bit sparse.
The reason for this first post is to see if anyone can help me to identify the uniform my Great great Grandfather is wearing. My Gggf was Thomas Barby born in the village of Blakesley (about 1848.), Northamptonshire, and we were always told that he was in the Northamptonshire Yeomanary. So, I am assuming that his uniform is a Yeomanary uniform, but, which regiment etc?
In addition to this, he and his family seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth around the time of the 1891 census. I have him in the 1881 census and the 1901 census, but we have this big gap in the timeline. Can anyone shed any light on what might have happened here. Could it be that he & the family were away with the Regiment somewhere? Any information anyone can help me with would be very gratefully received.

Still finding my way around this site so apologies if I haven`t posted this in the correct place - I`m sure the Mods will put me right on that!  :)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Great great Grandfather uniform identification please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 October 13 13:08 BST (UK) »
He is certainly a Volunteer. But the cap badge of the Northamptonshire Yeomanry was a horse within an oval - during WW1 at least. The three stars are for a total of fifteen years service. The  Volunteers came under the Lord Lt of the county until late in the 19th Century. So you need to contact the local record office.

There is a history of the NY available - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9780752468815-Yeomen-of-England-Tales-of-the-Northamptonshire-Yeomanry-from-17-/310694652839

This should confirm if the uniform was for the yeomanry rather than the Rifles. Either way he would have attended each week, so he would have to live locally.

If you have the original photograph try using a magnifying glass on the buttons and the shoulder. I think I can make out a V for volunteer.

Added...the Volunteers did not serve anywhere until some of them went to South Africa to fight in the Boer War.

Ken

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 October 13 13:20 BST (UK) »
I found him easily enough in the 1891 census on both Findmypast and The Genealogist. On Ancestry he's been transcribed as Thos Barley. He's at 106 Earl Street, Northampton

1198/98/43
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 October 13 13:29 BST (UK) »
There's a Thomas Barby born Northampton circa 1867 who was in the Yorkshire Regiment from 1886 to 1893, serving in India for much of that time. Father Thomas, 7 Henry (or Harvey ?) St, Northampton. Could that be his son?

Offline Mum2randa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 October 13 16:39 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you both for this swift response.

@ km1971 - I will get in touch with the records office and see if they can shed any light on the uniform. I do see what you mean about the "v" on the shoulder - but it looks like a "u" or half circle on the buttons to me. I don`t have the original, but could get my Aunt to lend it to me again  :-\ - !

@ ShaunJ - I should have known it would be an error in the transcription that stopped me finding him....and the rest of his family (with two more children I didn`t know about!) Thank you very much for that.
Regarding a Thomas that was in the Yorkshire Regiment, Thomas, born 1848, had a son Thomas William born 1871 in Northampton. I`ll have a look for this Thomas when I get a minute The address for his Father (Thomas senior) doesn`t tie in with the 1881 or 1891 census though.
Where did you find the info about the Yorkshire Regiment please?

Thanks again to you both for your help.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 October 13 17:11 BST (UK) »
I think I saw in the 1881 census that Thomas junior was aged 13 - born around 1867/8 - so that would fit the army record but the birth registration and later censuses suggest 1870ish as you say. His army record is viewable on FindMyPast.

Re Thomas senior. Perhaps Ken can help flesh out a bit more detail. The cap badge has the light infantry bugle, and Thomas has an Inkerman whistle and chain. So he's a Warrant Officer - a  Colour Sergeant perhaps? - in a light infantry - or rifles ? unit of the Northampton militia?

Offline Mum2randa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 October 13 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ, have had a look at the record on FindMyPast and it does seem to fit. His "civvy" trade of "Clicker" fits his profile as well. The only thing I cannot confirm is his Fathers (Thomas senior) address in Henry Street as the census on either side of his service record give a different address. However, as his Father seemed to move every few years, it is entirely possible that he could have lived in Henry Street.
The age difference doesn`t bother me unduly as it was known that young men falsified their ages to get into the Army, so quite possible that he did this as well - his son Ernest did this as well!

Re Thomas Senior, I`ll have to do a bit more research on this, but many thanks for the suggestions so far.

Best wishes,

Jenny

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 October 13 19:47 BST (UK) »
Most deffo  Northampton Rifle Volunteers....and certainly NOT Yeomanry :)
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 October 13 19:51 BST (UK) »
There used to be one in the Regt Museum in Abiginton Park in Northampton
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.