Author Topic: Gibson-Craven marriage  (Read 5264 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gibson-Craven marriage
« on: Saturday 26 October 13 16:27 BST (UK) »
Is anyone able to help with a marriage please?  The couple are Adam Gibson, born abt 1825 in Hartburn, Northumberland (parents Thomas Gibson and Margaret Carr) and Frances Craven, born in  Alnwick, Northumberland about 1821 (parents John Craven and Elizabeth Lindores).  According to death certificates (Australia) they are supposed to have married on 1 August, 1847 but no record can be found here:  I've checked Bishop of Durham's transcripts (inc. 2 years either side), Free BMD, freeREG, familysearch.org, but there is nada to be seen anywhere.  They are recorded together in Tweedmouth in the 1851 census as Adam and Frances Gibson and they emigrated as husband and wife in 1854.  I have checked marriages for Hartburn, Tweedmouth, Alnwick and all points in between.  Their direct descendant in Oz and I are totally stumped.  Any ideas where to go next, please, pretty please!!?? ??? :-\

lydiaann
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson-Craven marriage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 October 13 16:53 BST (UK) »
No luck I'm afraid.  Is it possible they married after emigrating  :-\ otherwise it looks like they didn't marry at all.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 October 13 18:34 BST (UK) »
I think it is possible they never married but I will get my very distant relative to check her Australian resources once more.  Thanks anyway for trying for me; as always, I'm very grateful.

lydiaann
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 October 13 18:41 BST (UK) »
they could have had a "irregular" marriage, that would not appear in the GRO indexes. They were listed in newspapers etc. Here is a link that explains more

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=629742.msg4964733#msg4964733

and

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0wm3/

and if you search on irregular you will find several more
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline joyce grieve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 January 15 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Adam Gibson is in my line. He was born in Tweedmouth@ 1813 and married Frances Craven. Unfortunately all the records for Tweedmouth were destroyed in a fire! They left for Australia about 1854 and settled in Heathcote where 3 children were born. I have letters written by Frances to her sister in law in England. I would love to have info. on the living relatives in Australia.
I am trying to sort out Frances Craven born@ 1821 in Alnwick and her parents John Craven and Elizabeth Lindores. There seem to be 2 different families. Frances' brother Thomas Craven went out to Australia and also settled very successfully! in Heathcote. Hoping you can help.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 January 15 07:52 GMT (UK) »
There is this marriage in vol 1 of Irregular Border Marriages published by the Northumberland and Durham Family History Society:
Lamberton Toll 17 Dec 1842 Machall King to Frances Creven both of Alenwick (sic). Wit Alexr Manuill and Margaret Davidson.

I can only see one Frances  Craven in NBL in 1841 - a young female servant  just under an innkeeper's household in Alnwick, age given as 15 but that would be rounded down to nearest 5 years. Born in county. About to see if I can find Mrs King in 1851, dodgy internet permitting.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 January 15 08:14 GMT (UK) »
There is a Frances  King in Chirton in 1851, head of household, married, with an eldest child aged 10. Not convinced this is Frances Creven/craven who married Machall (Michael?) King but tech difficulties prevent me checking further.

The 1842 marriage could be for a cousin of your Frances, or if it is the same woman she could have been subsequently widowed and remarried Adam Gibson, or there was no second marriage, or there could be a little bit if bigamy going on. Unfortunately only a small proportion of records for irregular marriages survive - where they existed in the first place - so absence of evidence is not evidence there was no marriage.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 January 15 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked out Trove? This is a free site that includes many newspapers.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 January 15 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hold on with your research, you Chatters! There is no need for speculation on who the 'Frances' was and I have all the details on Frances Craven.  She was the daughter of my 3xGGparents, John Craven and Elizabeth Lindores of Alnwick, Northumberland.  The 1841 census information is correct and then she is shown as living with Adam (as Mrs. Gibson) in 1851 in Berwick on Tweed.  A descendant in Australia has information that they married on 1 August 1847, and all hints now lead to the fact that they probably had an 'irregular' marriage, which I am still trying to confirm.  Thomas was the 2nd youngest of the family and, as pointed out, had an extremely successful life in Australia.  There was a niece or nephew who also emigrated but at the moment, my memory fails me as to who that was...watch this space.

Joyce, if you send me a PM with your e-mail address, I'll try and let you know what you need.  The Craven family from Alnwick is quite extensive, all the way down to me but all documented where possible.

SelDen:  I am intrigued by the wedding of Frances Creven to Machall King in Lamberton Toll...I had not found that one.  I am inclined to think it may be the same Frances, as Margaret Davidson was Frances's sister-in-law - but not until 1847 (Margaret married John Hugh as his 2nd wife; his first, Hannah MacKenzie, didn't die until 1843.  However, it is possible that Margaret and Frances were already friends and that's how John Hugh met her).  It is possible there was a bigamous marriage?  However, will further investigate this possible union too.

The intrigue builds, but I am 'safe' on my details of Frances in regard to censuses, baptisms, etc. up to her emigration.
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee