Author Topic: Help for a newbie please - Tasmania and general information  (Read 3539 times)

Offline Jen10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help for a newbie please - Tasmania and general information
« on: Saturday 26 October 13 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I just found this great board.  I have only just begun to research my family and want to make sure that I am doing it correctly. I have looked on Ancestry.com.au and found what I believe to be the same family on a few people's trees, but I want to do the research myself to make sure I have got it right.

I have a couple of questions that I would love some advice on please.  I hope they aren't too dumb!

My great-grandmother was named Elvie Maria Grant.  I believe she was born in Tasmania and she was married there in 1916.  She died in SA in 1976 and my family believe that she was 88 years of age (born in 1888).  The only person of that name I can find was born in 1886. An Elvie Maria Grant is also listed as living in Tasmania in the 1919 census, however their first child was born in 1918 in NSW and my Elvie was married by then.  What is the likelihood that they are the same person?  I can't seem to find any other Elvie born around the same time anywhere else in Australia.

I am currently living overseas so am unable to access any libraries in Australia.  If I order a marriage certificate for my great-grandparents, would that give me more family information so I know that I am on the right track?

Thank you in advance.

Jen

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Help for a newbie please - Tasmania and general information
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 October 13 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen10,
   Welcome to rootschat  :)

I think this is their marriage announcement in case you don't have it http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article50877571

I suspect people remain on an electoral roll unless they specifically notify that they have moved.

cheers,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Jen10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 October 13 23:23 BST (UK) »
Oh wow, fantastic!  That is them.  Thanks Ros, I did not see that. Much appreciated.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 October 13 23:44 BST (UK) »
The only birth I can see (from ancestry) is 5 Nov 1886
Elvie Maria GRANT  with parents James GRANT and Mary HAYES in Oatlands Tasmania. reg 2442

I guess you know she is buried at centennial park http://www.centennialpark.org/deceased-search/deceased-search.html and there is a picture of her Plaque, date of death 7/9/1976  and it says that she is 88 years old.

cheers,
   Ros
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 October 13 00:06 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is the death of her mother Mary in 1935.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article51945524

GRANT .--On the 15th July, 1935, at Launceston, Mary, widow of the
late James Edwin Grant, formerly of St. Marys and of Gravelly Beach,
aged 78 years. Private interment, Carr Villa Cemetery.-C. T. Finney,
Funeral Director.

cheers,
  Ros

adding from Car Villa Cemetery
 James Edwin Grant http://www.launceston.tas.gov.au/lcc/index.php?c=30&burial_record=26794
died 1915 and is buried with Mary.http://www.launceston.tas.gov.au/lcc/index.php?c=30&burial_record=26760

adding James Edwin Grant's death notice http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article50803637
(nothing to help confirm)

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 October 13 00:14 BST (UK) »

Hi

Do you have a copy of Elvie's death certificate?  It might give you some idea of her parents' names, depending on who gave the information of course.

Henry John CANNON's WW1 Service Record is able to be viewed on the Australian National Archives site if you are interested.

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 October 13 00:18 BST (UK) »

Tasmanian Marriage Index
Oatlands Tasmania

3rd March 1879
Edwin James GRANT
Mary Elizabeth HAYES

Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jen10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 October 13 00:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much guys - you have found more in 5 minutes than I have found in 5 weeks! 

I don't have a copy of her death certificate - I am living overseas and have just begun to research.  I believe that this is the correct person.  I think I can trace her back a little way through James Grant (no proof of course, at this stage just ancestry.com.au links and a few things from the Tasmanian archives).

I am really enjoying this!  What do you guys do when you come to a dead end and can't find information on a person?  Do you try another branch or keep looking? 

I am limited to online things while I am here I guess as I can't get to the libraries in Aust.

I really appreciate the help!

Jen

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 October 13 01:07 BST (UK) »
For direct ancestors I like to get the certificates to confirm I am on right track (I went astray a couple of times  ;D )

Sometimes I have to put one branch on the back-burner for a while and hope that more records come online.

There will be more rootschatters waking up soon  ;D with other resources.

cheers,
   Ros