Author Topic: Hand written name ?? [Blue]  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hand written name ?? [Blue]
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 08:55 GMT (UK) »
I think it says Mrs Phair's.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 08:57 GMT (UK) »
I think it says Mrs Phair's.

Me too :)

It's not particularly rare as a surname in England (a few born each year) ... but with the other names around, I imagine it's Scottish.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Mrs Phairs or possibly Phains.

The name Mc Gregor appears twice on the page, and the first part of your mystery word doesn't resemble it at all
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry- mistyped my earlier reply (that what happens when you can't see image when tryping reply out)- Think it's Mrs. Phair's not McPhair  :-[

My guess is McPhair's- notice the dot well above the name and then 2 lines below to dot over 'being' (and line below that to 'deposted').
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello and a big thank you for your considered opinions.

As stated the hand writing is not a bad one as they go, but for the life of my very tired eyes I could not see any of the ratepayers names, that I was expecting for that Board's area of land, and time frame. The names being; HENRY - GORDON - GEORGE - OLDFIELD - MOTION - McGREGOR [who I expected to be on that title] - WARRING - McLEOD and finally WELSH. Titles could have been leased, but I don't have ready access to the old lease records.

First I thought it might have been McLEOD but then dismissed the idea, as well as the surnames of LAW and PLANE which were not unknown, in the greater area some 100 years ago. Think it will have to wait until I can find time to spend a day in my local library, and check out the public notice that the minutes referrs to. At least the title description is quite plain to read, and is clear on an old survey plan that I have.

Thanks Guys and Gals for your considerations.

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Mrs Phairs or possibly Phains.

The name Mc Gregor appears twice on the page, and the first part of your mystery word doesn't resemble it at all

Mrs Phairs does look better than McPhairs.

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 12:50 GMT (UK) »
just stuck a wildcard in anc for nz>>>>>>Phares  & Pharis came up in old electorals

ps

there is the following reference to a John McGregor in Waikato

"602 McGregor John freehold Aratapu carpenter Lot 89 Cambridge East"1880-1

and another in ERs 1880-1
"1588 McGregor John residential Martha Street miner"Waikato Thames

but in 1890 ER
"1245 McGregor John residential Kaimarama Creek farmer" Waikato Thames
and
" 2399 McGregor John residential Kirkwood st Thames " Waikato Thames
if any of those are a help

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello again.

As can possibly be guessed from the minutes, this request is to do with local pioneer history, more so than specifically with genealogy. Though I've lived all my life in the Waikato, and studied the early pioneers, it was only in more recent times I learnt of the setting up of the small drainage board so that funds could be jointly raised, to poke a tunnel drain through 20 chain of a clay rise on the banks of the Mangawara River, allowing the locals to drain a peat lake on the other side and releasing some 2,500 acres of land for development. In some ways they were too successful with the drainage, as they could not continue to deepen the tunnel, as the peat consolidated, so were eventually forced to go the long way, of additional mileage of drains through neighbouring farms, to gain fall to the river. For me local accounts and Drainage minutes prove to be very interesting reading. For a start there were a large number of drainage boards but like with the roading boards of a generation earlier, it was not long before the boards were forced to amalgamate, as no farmer liked additional OUTSIDE traffic past his gate on local ratepayers roads, or upstream water, now wanting to more readily flood down over, or under, water logging his farm.

Following drainage, the big breaks were to come some 60 to 80 years later when in the late 50's copper was recognised as the missing trace element, and chisel ploughs became the implement of choice, to work very large quantities of lime into the soil. These few acres being only a speck on the original Woodlands Estate of nearly 90,000 acres, of what is now prime Waikato Dairying land.

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I think it could well be "Phains".
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands