Author Topic: William COPE, Superintendant of Police for Worcestershire  (Read 1715 times)

Offline cullen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William COPE, Superintendant of Police for Worcestershire
« on: Tuesday 29 October 13 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I am trying to help one of our family history group at our library with a really interesting family -unfortunatly we are not in Worcestershire.The family is of William COPE b 1854 in Marden, Herefordshure, he was a Superintendant of police. does anyone have access to local papers which might contain an obituary. I think I have found his death in 1919
I have found this william as an apprentice as a wheelwright in 1871, then in the police in Worcestershire from 1881 to 1911 - I wondered if an obit might appear in Herefordshire as that was where he was born + his father's connection and a brother Andrew who was also connected to Police, but I cannot find one there, so that is why I am asking the Worcestershire slueths

I have found him on 1871 in Herefordshire then, 1881, Dudley, 1891 Redditch 1901 & 1911 in Evesham but cannot find him on 1861 or his parents and siblings.

Many thanks for any help

Cullen
Simmons/Simmonds -Sussex
Hall - Cuckfield, Sussex
Allen - Sussex
Glenister -Bucks
Allen - Bucks
Young - Bucks
Haynes - Clerkenwell/Shoreditch, Mddx & London
Cullen - Waterford, Ireland
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William COPE, Superintendant of Police for Worcestershire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 10:41 GMT (UK) »
William Cope born 1854 Marden, Herefordshire. Parents William Cope 1832-1897 & Ann.
Wife Jane Preston married Dudley, Worcestershire 1878.
No trace of 1861 census.

On find my past you can pay to view but the only reference to him was the following:
Excerpt from Worcester Journal 21/07/1894

ALLEGED REMARKABLE FRAUDS AT EVESHAM AND BIRMINGHAM.
William Cope, superintendent of police, Evesham, said in consequence of instructions received by him he went to Stratford-on-Avon on July 7th and received prisoner into custody from the Stratford on Avon.

There are a several references to his family in the Herefordshire section from 1860s. I could not quite figure out the excerpts but I think his father was Deputy Chief Constable of Herefordshire.

As you say he died 12 June 1919 at Broadway, Worcestershire. He left his effects to Albert William Cope, Sergeant of Police & Frederick John Cope, Inspector of Weights & Measures,

Regards

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cullen,

Try our society's branch website www.bromsgrovebmsgh.co.uk

You'll need to register, but that 's FREE.  There are 77 years of the Bromsgrove Messenger, in .pdf format, from 1860 there.  Unfortunately the weekly paper is not searchable, so you'll need some approximate dates.  Although the paper is for Bromsgrove, there was quite a bit of county news.

The National Archives have two non-digitised records, in the 1880s, of a William COPE, retiring from the Metropolitan Police.  No promises that it's your chap or a relative.

Cheers

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline cullen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike and Colin

Many thanks for your replies, I will follow up on your suggestions. will certainly try to follow up the Met police suggestion - the whole family seem to involved with police in one form or another so it might be a family member.

Cullen
Simmons/Simmonds -Sussex
Hall - Cuckfield, Sussex
Allen - Sussex
Glenister -Bucks
Allen - Bucks
Young - Bucks
Haynes - Clerkenwell/Shoreditch, Mddx & London
Cullen - Waterford, Ireland
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk