Author Topic: Connaught Rangers 5th Batt.1914/1915  (Read 1196 times)

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Connaught Rangers 5th Batt.1914/1915
« on: Tuesday 29 October 13 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi looking for help regs a Private Andrew Brennan from 45 Denzille St, Dublin, Ireland.
 who was serving with the 5th Batt Connaught Rangers 1914/15 .
What I really need is the name of his Wife who would have been his next of Kin.
I believe he survived the War, I have his daughters birth cert but his wifes name is illegible apart from her maiden name (Healy).
I would be grateful for any help from records.
Thanking you.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Connaught Rangers 5th Batt.1914/1915
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 22:20 GMT (UK) »
When was he born?

What year was his daughter born
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 22:35 GMT (UK) »
apologies his daughter was born on the 25 December 1914,registered on the 14 jan 1915.
 I have no idea when Andrew was born, but I would be glad of his date of birth if possible, also any other info relating to him, regs parents etc.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 22:41 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of Andrew Brennan's and although the family were in Dublin in 1914 - there is no guarantee he was actually born there so looking for him on the 1911 census to get info is a problem

Do you know whether the daughter b 1914 was his first born?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 22:45 GMT (UK) »
From Family Search - all Andrew Brennan marriages from 1901 - 1914.  None match to a Healy in the corresponding time frame

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0wo5/ 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Did you buy the birth cert from the NI GRO?  If so - perhaps they can help with deciphering mothers christian name

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 02:05 GMT (UK) »
I believe I may have solved the name on the cert, I believe it to be Roseann.
On further inspection of the census records I think I may have nailed them down to the same neighbourhood, and they are the same age.

1911,Andrew aged 16 with his parents James & Norah living at 37 Mayor St, Dublin.
he is apprentice horseshoer, same as his father.

1911, has Roseann aged 14 with her parents Lawrence Healy and mother Agnes, Living at 3 Pickford Terrace also in the north dock area and a stone throw from Mayor St address of the Brennans.
(looks as if Laurence has remarried as there is also a 22 yr old stepson there) they have been married 16yrs.

This leave's me with a search for Andrew Brennan and Roseann Healy marriage, which should be straight forward.
I would still appreciate any details of Andrew army records, possibly showing 45 Denzille St as his address.
thank you for your help and patience.

Offline Mum2randa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I have found a reference to Andrew on Family Search regarding his whereabouts in 1915. Correct address of Denzil St. is shown.
According to this record, Andrew was 33 years old in 1915, therefore he was born in 1882 approx.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 10:00 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find his service record on Ancestry. But they have his medal index card. It shows he had to apply for his 1914-1915 Star after the war. The actual medal roll in Kew may have an explanation as why this was necessary, as it should have been issued automatically. It is not online. The card has an address in Dublin on the back - Mark Street, off Pearse Street (added...which before partition was called Great Brunswick Street).

At some point he was transferred to the Labour Corps which was created in 1917. This was usually because of age or if the man had suffered a wound or illness that reduced his fitness.

If you post a question on the Great War Forum, with Labour Corps in the title, you should discover when his LC number was issued. Their sister site has details of the 5th Connaughts - http://www.1914-1918.net/connaught.htm
If you follow the link to his Division (top right) it will tell you the battles they were involved in.

Medals were sent by registered post and the receipt/delivery by the Medal office was recorded. Hence IV = Issue Voucher and CRV = Certified Receipt Voucher.

Ken