Author Topic: Trying To Trace Grandfathers Grave In Barnstaple  (Read 6530 times)

Offline ashhill80

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying To Trace Grandfathers Grave In Barnstaple
« on: Wednesday 30 October 13 13:50 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace my Grandfathers Grave in Barnstaple, Devon. I am unfamilar with the area, however I have emailed Bear St Cemetary there and they did a search and couldnt find anyone of my Grandfathers name. They suggested local Churchyards possibly. Does anyone know of any other Cemetarys or even a list of Churchs that have Graveyards in the area? Alternativly I was contemplating seeing if Funeral Dircetors in the area may have records from the time of my Grandfathers death and could help lead me to where he was buried. So any email address for Cemetarys, Churches or even Funeral Directors in the area or possibly even another way to search for him that I dont know of would be greatly appreciated. My Grandfathers name was Sidney Hill and he died 1926 in Barnstaple aged 60 years old. Thanks.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying To Trace Grandfathers Grave In Barnstaple
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi ashhill80

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

There's a list here

http://www.devon.gov.uk/cemetery_registers

It might be a case of sitting there with a map and seeing if any other cemeteries are likely candidates and then making contact with the relevant cemetery office to ask if he is buried there.

It might also help when making enquiries if you give them his full names and actual date of death.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi & welcome to Rootschat,

You say he died in Barnstaple in 1926. Was this from a death certificate or a birth index. If the latter it may be BArnstaple  Registration District and could mean he was buried in a churchyard in a village outside the town. I think no churches in Barnstaple were having burials in the 1920s

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 October 13 11:12 GMT (UK) »
At the time there were between 60 and 65 parishes in the Barnstaple civil registration district. Not all would have churchyards in use. In addition in some locations were burial grounds attached to non conformist chapels. If you have the death certificate the address of the deceased may help you to narrow down the location but if for example the churchyard nearby was closed, the family would have chosen a municipal cemetery elsewhere [or another parish churchyard still accepting new burials]. You also have to consider the possibility of a crematorium being used so you will also need to approach the managers of such crematoriums eg Barnstaple, Ilfracombe etc. Be aware that in most cases a search fee is payable.

If you look up the death on the website freeBMD where it shows the civil registration [i.e Barnstaple] there is a facility to click on it to check out all the parishes within the district.

Please always remember to enclose a SAE envelope as the cost of answering family history queries otherwise the cost unfairly falls on local parishonners or council tax payers. So if you are going to write to many churches, cemeteries etc there may be some cost involved.

To establish which churchyards were open for burials in The Barnstaple Archdeaconry in 1926 you will need to write to The Exeter Diocese at Old Deanery, The Cloisters, Exeter. To undertake such a detailed enquiry will probably take several man hours so you may be asked to pay a fee to cover their administration of checking 60 or so records.

You should also be aware that many families were unable to afford headstones. In some instances graves were provided out of public funds [this was just at the end of the era of workhouses and such graves were described as pauper graves]. In such cases there would be no headstone and by law, names of deceased were not permitted to be shown on a marker.
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline ashhill80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 November 13 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunatly its not quite as simple as just being Barnstaple where my Grandfather could be buried! We have done searches using all Sidney/Sydney Hills that fit the information that we hold to use to search to try and locate his Grave and any further information regarding him. We dont know a lot, we are mainly working with the info that is on his Marriage Certificate to my Grandmother which is that he was 41 years old in 1908 and therefore born 1867. We dont know of a middle name and one isnt listed, so am assuming just Sydney Hill, although depending on the Certificate, his name is spelt as Sidney or Sydney, so not even 100% sure regarding the correct spelling of his name. It also lists his fathers name as George on the Marriage Cert and that he was a Grand Mariner and lists Sidneys Occupation as a Marine and later Steamship Engineer. We worked out that he must have died after 1919 as that was when his daughter was born and Sydneys Wife remarried in 1928 and it lists her marital Status by then as Widow. So he must have died between 1919 and 1928, we have narrowed it down some more by locating one of Sidneys Sons Death Certs, Cyril died in Sept 1923 aged 12 years old and his Uncle registered his death, on the death cert, he write Sydneys name as father and that he was a Steamship Engineer, so am assuming by that, he must still have been alive in 1923, otherwise would think would say deceased. We then contacted a nice fellow who checked records and with the info that we gave him, he gave us two names which could fit as our Grandfather. One in Bristol and one in Barnstaple. My Cousin has also found a record outside the Country, which we have to consider as his work enabled him to travel and that Sidney died in Dedham, Massachusetts, USA in 1924. The Bristol Sidney, I tracked down through emailing Cemetarys and Churchyards and managed to locate where is buried and got the Applicants name, also same person buried with him and not a name that we recognize, which then has now led me to Barnstaple. I have emailed some Churches there and am still awaiting responses. Anymore tips or info would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.....

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 November 13 15:58 GMT (UK) »
what home address is given on the 1923 death cert for Cyril?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 November 13 17:54 GMT (UK) »
I think Sidney Hill who was buried in Barnstaple in 1926 was a House Painter who appears as Sid Hill in the 1911 Census, living in Barnstaple. There are a couple of maritime deaths in 1922/3 for the name Hills but no Christian name or even initials

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline ashhill80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 November 13 15:40 GMT (UK) »
The address listed on Cyrils Death Cert is Wenlock Road, Birmingham. But I have tried all the Cemetarys, Crematoriums etc there and come up blank. I have also emailed an Archivist and he said that no Sidney/Sydney Hill died or death was registered, buried etc in that areas whos dates would fit with mine.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 November 13 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi - are these the basics on Sidney/Sydney & family?

1867 (approx): Birth of Sidney or Sydney HILL, location unknown.
1908 (Jun qtr): Sydney HILL (wid, 41, marine? engineer), marries Mary HAINES, Southampton.
1908 (10 Aug): Birth of son William, West Bromwich district.
1908 (30 Aug): William baptised at All Souls' Witton - parents Sidney (engineer) & Mary, of 54 Wenlock Rd.
1909 (25 Aug): Birth of son Leslie George, West Bromwich district.
1909 (19 Sep): Leslie baptised at All Souls' Witton - parents Sydney (engineer) & Mary, of 54 Wenlock Rd.
1911 (08 Feb): Birth of son Cyril Percival, West Bromwich district.
1911 (01 Mar): Cyril baptised at All Souls' Witton - parents Sydney (engineer) & Mary, of 54 Wenlock [Rd].
1923 (Sep qtr): Death at the General Hospital of Cyril Percival, aged 12, of Wenlock Rd, Birmingham - father Sydney Hill, steamship engineer.
1923 (29 Sep): Burial of Cyril Percival, St Peter & St Paul, Aston.
1928: Mary HILL remarries as a widow.

I'm struggling to see a daughter born in or around 1919 ???
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)