Author Topic: Alexander Smith-Margaret Rutherford marriage, prob DUNDEE  (Read 8938 times)

Offline EddieOrm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Smith-Margaret Rutherford marriage, prob DUNDEE
« on: Thursday 31 October 13 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find any information on the marriage of ALEXANDER SMITH (fish merchant's carter) and MARGARET RUTHERFORD, parents of Alexander Smith who married Catherine Martin Meek on 24-7-1891.  Smith is such a common name but thought Rutherford would help me find them but no luck.  Totally hit a brick wall on this branch of my family tree and would be delighted if anyone could help. Thanks

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Smith-Margaret Rutherford marriage, prob DUNDEE
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 October 13 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

When and where was Alexander Smith jnr born?

Have you found him on a census with his parents?  When was their first child born as that info helps in determing a likely marriage year

When and where were Alexander snr and Margaret born
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 October 13 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Doing an all counties search on Scotlands People shows a marriage in 1872 between an Alexander Smith and a female Rutherford but the entry does not match to Margaret

Have you already viewed that entry?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline EddieOrm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 October 13 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi there CaroleW
Alex Jnr was born 1863 in Dundee, we know from the marriage record that he was living at 76 Cowgate Dundee and was a coal carter when he married Catherine.  His parents were Alexander and Margaret, nee Rutherford.  At the time of Alea Jnr's marriage, 1891, his father was still alive but his mother, Margaret was deceased.  Can't find a death record for her.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 November 13 00:10 GMT (UK) »
I found this baptism

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY16-12D

You may want to have a look at the original entry on SP to see what Alexanders occupation was

SP has one marriage between 1864-1891 between a male Rutherford and Margaret Easson or Eason (I used wildcard search Marg** Eas*on)

I wonder if Alexander was illegitimate

Offline EddieOrm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 November 13 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I hadn't thought of that.
May need to go back to SP and see if I can find death certificates or census returns that can show a definite link with Alex Jnr and Snr.

That will be a challenge for tomorrow eve.

Thanks so much for all your help....love the cat picture, by the way, it's a beauty.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 November 13 00:47 GMT (UK) »
The 1901 entry for Alexander shows he was b 1859 - not 1863

All born Dundee

Alexander Smith  42 
Catherine M   31
Georgina 9
Elizabeth 5
Sarah  3
Alexander 1
Dundee ED 5 Page 52 Line 24

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 November 13 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I found this baptism

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY16-12D

You may want to have a look at the original entry on SP to see what Alexanders occupation was

I wonder if Alexander was illegitimate

1861 census shows he was a carter born about 1826 Dundee. There is a death indexed at SP of a  Margaret Easson in 1864.  There is a poorhouse application that could be from her in 1864 that might be worth pursuing to see if the baby survived and what happened to him.

Offline EddieOrm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 November 13 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
thanks so much for your interest and help.  A little concerned that we are going off down the wrong root.The Alexander I am trying to find more about is the father of the Alexander Smith who married Catherine Meek.  I have Alex and Catherine's marriage certificate, 1891, which states his parents as Alexander Smith,fish merchant's carter, and mother as Margaret Smith nee Rutherford and these are the ones I'm trying to work back from.
I found a Margaret Rutherford on the 1941census at Liff and Benvie, aged five and I suspect she is the one I'm looking for as I have found connections with Liff and Benvie and Lochee further down the family tree. Her age would tie in nicely too as Alex Jnr's mother.  Alex Snr is more difficult as there are so many with this name.  Just got to keep looking for a connection to prove which one is mine I guess.
Really appreciate your help though.  People are so kind with this sort of thing.  Thanks again.