Author Topic: James Kelly 1895-1927  (Read 8786 times)

Offline jesika jae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Kelly 1895-1927
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 22 May 16 07:40 BST (UK) »
It should have been easy.
The medals gave me all the information I needed to start my search.
James Kelly Private 15846 Notts & Derby Reg.
James Kelly Sergeant 13010 Machine Gun Corps.
He married Nellie Richardson in Mansfield Register Office, January 5 1916.
He died from TB, February 8 1927. Address 12 Council Houses, South Hiendley.
He was buried in Felkirk Church grave yard, a mile from where I spent my first 21 years, and I didn't know.
Grandmother never spoke about him. No one ever asked. A tacitly off limits subject.

In my research I found about 1700 potential James Kellys  fitting his WWI record, marriage & death. This was an impossible task, so difficult a genealogist friend declined to help! Then a friend told me about the website that helped her find her grannie. Astonishingly, Jeff in Australia was searching the same website for his wife's grandma at the same time as I was looking for my granddad.
At her marriage, March 27 1916, Catherine Kelly's address, 3 Bells Yard, Mansfield, was the same as James' when he married Nellie. Their  fathers had the same details, James Kelly (b1875), miner, Private KOYLI Reg. No mother was mentioned. James & Catherine were apparently siblings.
Jeff found their mother's name, Ellen Slattery, born in Whitwick, Leicestershire, in 1874, through a census search. In 1901 James & Ellen with their 3 children were in Glass Houghton, Yorkshire.
James 4, born in Whitwick -1896/7.
Catherine 3, born in Mexborough, Yorkshire 1898.
Thomas 10 months, born in Whitwick, 1900.
There is no record of the birth of James Kelly (1896/7) despite there being a hefty £2 fine for not registering.
I returned to the website, the Leicestershire forum.
Still no James Kelly even though I now knew where & approximately when he was born.
I learned that Ellen had given birth to a baby boy, Arthur Slattery, in the Ashby de la Zouch Union Workhouse in 1896. There is no further record of this child. He did not grow up, did not marry, did not die. He simply disappeared. The evidence is compelling that Arthur Slattery became James Kelly after Ellen and James married on March 8 1897, in Whitwick Register Office.

I cannot be certain that James Kelly was Arthur's father, but what Jeff & I have learned strongly supports this. Ellen & James were the same age, lived in the same street, attended the same school, got married and in the 1901 census had a 4 year old son. Ellen's husband had raised the child and replaced his birth name, Arthur Slattery, with James Kelly, surely acknowledging paternity.

Mother told me her father's name was James Arthur, but on all General Register Office records he was James Kelly, excepting birth where he was registered as Arthur Slattery.

I have been told that after her husband died, grandmother and her 3 young children had to live in a caravan. I don't know for how long, but presumably they were evicted when James died.
Maybe this is why he was never spoken about.
Maybe this is why grandmother visited her daughter Teresa's grave & not that of her husband, despite them sharing the same plot.
These are things I'll never know, but today, May 22, I can say “Happy Birthday, Granddad” for the first time, 120 years after he was born.

Addendum:
Baby Arthur Slattery was baptised in the Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church, Whitwick, as were Catherine, Thomas and Francis, who was born in Whitwick in 1899 and died before the 1901 census.
Uncle Jim (James Arthur Kelly) had told his children that he was RC and had been excommunicated. I have been unable to find any record of RC baptism in Mansfield where he was born or for his sisters, Mary Teresa (1920 -1937) and Doreen Winifred (1924 – 2012) both born in South Hiendley.

John Kelly was born in Cacon, County Mayo in 1839, died Cannock, Staffs, January 1915 (Gt gt grandfather)
Ellen Wall, his wife, was born in Kiltimagh, County Mayo, in 1841. Died January 1912 in Lichfield, Staffs.
They married in Tamworth, Staffordshire, July 1859.

James Kelly, 9th of 10 children, was born in Whitwick 1875. Died Nottingham 1951. (Gt grandfather)
Ellen Slattery, his wife, was born in Whitwick, 1874, died Rotherham 1955.
Ellen Slattery's grandfather, John, was born in County Clare, 1820, her father Michael, born Staffordshire, 1870.

But the strangest part of this search was an eerie  coincidence. Something which could not have been anticipated or planned given our limited knowledge 2 years ago. Mother joined her sister and father

May 22 2014,

the 118th anniversary of his birth.

requiescat in pace

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GRANDDAD

There are too many people to thank individually, but I am grateful for all you have done to help solve the mysterious mystery of my elusive grandfather. Many, many thanks
jj 220516