Author Topic: *EDITED* Peter and Mary Martin  (Read 6292 times)

Offline KD146

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
*EDITED* Peter and Mary Martin
« on: Friday 01 November 13 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I have an 1867 death cert copy for a widow Mary Martin of 15 Greek Street in Dublin North, a workhouse.  Unfortunately, the informant is the resident officer of the workhouse, so I have nothing at all there to trace who this Mary Martin is.  I have a 3rd great grandmother Mary Martin, from north inner city, and this is the right age, but Mary Martin is a very common name.  Glasnevin Cemetery have her burial, but again, no information to link her to anyone.

Has anyone come across this workhouse in Greek Street, and know anything about it?  And more importantly, is there any chance inmate records would be available anywhere for such a place?  It's a long shot, but worth asking.  Many thanks.
Co.Dublin - Connor, Martin, Reilly, Roche

Co.Laois - Brennan, Cobbe, Curran, Quearney

Co.Wexford - Kavanagh, Louth, Toole

Co.Wicklow - Booth, Byrne, Franklin, Kearney, Keddy, Murphy, Turner, Waldron, Woods

Hampshire, UK - Hayter, Heady, Nutley, Pullen

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Greek Street Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 November 13 12:30 GMT (UK) »
North Dublin Union workhouse was on north Brunswicke street. I think you will find that the greek st. address was the home address of the deceased

see - http://www.libraryireland.com/Dublin-Street-Directory-1862/80.php

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 November 13 12:54 GMT (UK) »
What does it actually say on the death cert,does it say North dublin Union or South Union as far as i know these places were actually hospitals. I am open to correction but i think South Dublin Union was St Kevins Hospital.

Offline KD146

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 November 13 13:17 GMT (UK) »
As usual in these cases, the handwriting is almost illegible, although one particularly awful scrawl just might read Ndu workhouse, and underneath, 15 Greek Street.  It is probably more likely, as mentioned, that she lived in Greek Street and died in the workhouse.

Unfortunately, there were an awful lot of Mary Martins in Dublin.  This one is the right age and locality to be my 3rd great grandmother, but there is simply nothing to verify any connection to her.  Her husband Peter doesn't appear anywhere in the death certs, nor in the Glasnevin burials.  They simply disappeared.  Would there be any NDU records that might give additional information on this Mary Martin?

Living in hope...  :)

Co.Wicklow - Booth, Byrne, Franklin, Kearney, Keddy, Murphy, Turner, Waldron, Woods

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 November 13 14:17 GMT (UK) »
There are two Peter Martin burials before 1867
Peter Martin 1867 age 72 and 1861 age 77.

Offline KD146

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 November 13 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks.  I had checked both of those burials, and discounted them both for various reasons.  They are definitely not my Peter Martin.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 November 13 14:39 GMT (UK) »
using the alphabet as part of address
Peter Martin 1861 has letters in his address A E N Q R S U something Square
                    1867                                       A B G I N R S T

Offline KD146

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 November 13 15:31 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 burial is Peter Martin, 24 Queen's Square.  This man was a carpenter and architect, who built the Queen's Square development.  His wife was Mary, and he may have had a son Michael.  All of this fits with my tree so far.  However, his businesses are listed in various directories as follows:
  1820 at 62 Cook Street
  1824-31 at 1 St.Michael's Hill
  1836 at 100 Great Brunswick Street
  1839 at 1 St.Michael's Hill
  1844 at 98 Great Brunswick Street & 1 St.Michael's Hill

My 2nd great grandfather was Francis Martin, father Peter Martin, carpenter, mother Mary Levy, but born in NEWRY in 1833.  Francis had two sisters, also born in Newry, in 1831 and 1836.  Peter Martin married Mary Levy in Dublin in 1815.  Is it likely that Peter Martin would have had businesses in Dublin all through the 1830s while living in Newry from 1831 to 1836?  It just doesn't seem so.  Yet there IS an apparent gap in the directories between just those dates.

Hum, now I have to look at that again.  It just seems not to be right.  Can anyone fill those gaps in the directories?

I did have a heap of other children born to a Peter and Mary Martin, in the St.Mary Pro-Cathedral parish.  I suppose Great Brunswick Street falls under that, but St.Michael's Hill doesn't, but then, they were his business addresses.

The 1867 Glasnevin burial is Peter Martin, 28 Great Britain Street, alongside his wife MARGARET, so I have definitely discounted him.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: *EDITED* Peter and Mary Martin
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 November 13 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Griffths Valuation show him as land lord of several premises both occupied and vacant in Queens Square in the year of 1854 there are also other Martins down as tenants.