Author Topic: *EDITED* Peter and Mary Martin  (Read 6293 times)

Offline KD146

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: *EDITED* Peter and Mary Martin
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 November 13 16:15 GMT (UK) »
There were some baptisms to a Peter and Mary Martin (no wife's maiden name) in the 1820s in Bolton Court off Bolton Street (where the DIT is today).  I figure this to be a likely but unverified match for my 3rd great grandfather Peter Martin.

The Peter Martin with all the carpentry and building businesses in St.Michael's Hill and Great Brunswick Street, I just imagine that a man so progressive in business would have lived somewhere more salubrious than Bolton Court, which was a little narrow mews of cottages, accessed by an archway from Bolton Street.  I am guessing them to be two different Peter Martins, both married to a Mary.  But there is frustratingly little to verify anything.
Co.Dublin - Connor, Martin, Reilly, Roche

Co.Laois - Brennan, Cobbe, Curran, Quearney

Co.Wexford - Kavanagh, Louth, Toole

Co.Wicklow - Booth, Byrne, Franklin, Kearney, Keddy, Murphy, Turner, Waldron, Woods

Hampshire, UK - Hayter, Heady, Nutley, Pullen

Offline KD146

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 November 13 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Just to bring this up to date a little...

I seem to have identified Peter Martin, the architect at Queen's Square, as having been married to an Eliza Hussey on 24 Sep 1815, with a series of baptisms, including a Lucy Martin in 1827, who died aged just 18, and is buried with her father in Goldenbridge.

My Peter Martin was married to Mary Levy on 29 Mar 1815, so most likely not the Queen's Square man.  There were five baptisms to a Peter and Mary Martin (no maiden name) in St.Mary's Pro-Cathedral, address Bolton Court, and I think this gives me a lead on my Peter Martin.

Alas, no definitive burial for either Peter Martin or his wife Mary appears anywhere.  I thought the Greek Street Mary could possibly be her, but then, where lies Peter?  The search goes on.

Co.Wicklow - Booth, Byrne, Franklin, Kearney, Keddy, Murphy, Turner, Waldron, Woods

Offline trelawn1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 November 13 10:59 GMT (UK) »
The National Archives have the records for the SDU and NDU workhouse. It may be worth a visit if only to discount the Greek Street Mary. I have two relatives buried in Glasnevin neither of whom are buried with family, no sign of the wives. So, I wouldn't rule her out just because there is no sign of Peter yet. Good luck.

Amy
Bolger, Saul, Dowd, Ennis, Doyle - Dublin
Shears/Sheers/Schehr - Dublin and Germany

Offline KD146

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 November 13 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that.  I certainly need to see those archives.

I wasn't worried so much that Peter might not be buried with his wife.  Moreso that Peter's burial doesn't seem to appear anywhere.  He is not in the Glasnevin records.  He would have likely been born prior to 1795, and died anytime after 1841.  That's as vague as it is, unfortunately.

Offline trelawn1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 November 13 13:14 GMT (UK) »
I sympathise completely, my biggest problem is finding where my relatives are buried. One in particular; I know his exact date of death and where he died but do you think I can find where he is buried? I hope the archives turn up some info for you. Be advised some entries are missing. I went to see admission and discharge records for around February 1911 but sadly the 6mths from Dec 1910 on are missing  :(

Best of luck,
Amy.

Offline KD146

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 November 13 13:32 GMT (UK) »
That's a real heartbreak, when there is a gap in the records just where you need them!

There is one other option for me.  There is a possibility that after six children born in Dublin, and three in Newry, that Peter Martin did not return to Dublin as I thought, but stayed in Newry, and is buried there.  I don't think so, but I suppose it is an avenue I have to check, if only to discount it.

Now, where do I begin to find out how many Roman Catholic graveyards there were in Newry in the mid to late 1800s???  It's never easy...

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 November 13 13:41 GMT (UK) »
did you try the Peter Martin age 93 in 1871 born circa 1778 buried Glasnevin.

Offline KD146

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 November 13 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks, yes, I tried him too.  Too old, I thought, but when I checked, definitely not him.  Soldier on...

Offline trelawn1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 November 13 15:33 GMT (UK) »
With regard to the Newry cemeteries, why not post a request on the relevant board and see what you come up with? Someone might be able to point you in the right direction.

Amy