Author Topic: help finding Thomas CLARK, Dumfries, b1881  (Read 2667 times)

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help finding Thomas CLARK, Dumfries, b1881
« on: Sunday 03 November 13 10:17 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find any information about my grandfather Thomas Clark from Scotland.  He married Harriet Elizabeth Ruckledge in Snaith, Yorkshire in 1913.  He died, aged 68, on 12 August 1949 in Yorkshire.  His wedding cert. gives his father's name as George, occupation miner.
Our family believe he was from Dumfries.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help finding Thomas CLARK, Dumfries, b1881
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 November 13 11:06 GMT (UK) »
What was Thomas's occupation and his address at time of marriage any mention of mother's name

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 November 13 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  I believe he came to Yorkshire working as a labourer laying new rail tracks. Mother's name is unknown.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 November 13 13:57 GMT (UK) »
He was born Fife 1883 son of George Clark and Isabella Hunter in the 1901 census he is living with parent's at Bowhill Cottages  aged 18 his occupation is Coal Miner Hewer same as his father and brother James 21, sister Kate 9, Isabella 7,George 3...Tree on Ancestry has him married first to Mary Simpson 29/1/1904 at Bowhill Fife they had a son George born 1906 died 1906

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 November 13 14:30 GMT (UK) »
I dismissed this Thomas when I found him on the 1911 census still married to Mary with children Janet aged 6 and Isabella aged 1.
He had to have been in Snaith, Yorks in early 1913 at the latest because it seems my grandmother was 7 months pregnant when they married in November.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 November 13 15:26 GMT (UK) »
There is a Henry Thomas Clark aged 30 boarding in Grimsby occupation Railway Contractor Labourer .The tree on Ancestry has all his family listed also photo of his grave

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 November 13 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help but I think I'm going around in the same circles as previously.  There are surprisingly few Thomas Clarks born in Scotland around that time according to Scotland's People and the only one with a father called George is the one you mentioned in Fife who I've traced (I think the tree you've seen on Ancestry is mine).  I can't find any records listed for Henry Thomas Clark (Grimsby) apart from that one census.  The question now is do I assume that my grandfather was a scoundrel who abandoned his first wife and children?  ;-)

Offline taffie01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 November 13 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi YO8,
We have to keep an open mind to possible bigamy etc. Did his first wife die (if it is the same Thomas)
 Is the father named as George for both marriages?
My philosophy is never assume anything , you could end up down the wrong track!
taffie

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 November 13 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Can't find a death certificate for his fist wife.  Don't worry, I've already found one probable bigamous marriage!  And I've been down several wrong tracks too especially as a relative suggested my G.grandfather's name may have been Thomas.  I found a Thomas Clark from Lasswade in the 1911 census lodging a few miles away from my grandmother's home and thought it too much of a coincidence, it wasn't until weeks later when I received the marriage cert. that I found out my G.grandfather was called George.  There is a Thomas Clark born illegitimately about the right time in the Dumfries area but I've no way of telling if this is the right one either.