Author Topic: help finding Thomas CLARK, Dumfries, b1881  (Read 2668 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help finding Thomas CLARK, Dumfries, b1881
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 November 13 09:54 GMT (UK) »
I presume you have a marriage for Thomas and Mary Simpson as one showing on Scotlands People in 1904 at Fife

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 November 13 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie, yes I've found that marriage but can't find a record of her death on Scotland's People in her maiden name, married name or combinations of both, (nor can I find a record of his death in Scotland).  If I do assume that he left her, telling friends and family in England that he came from Dumfries would ensure that no-one ever tied the two lives together in his lifetime.
He died long before I was born and of his 10 children only 1 is still alive but unfortunately has senile dementia.  I also get the impression from older cousins that he spoke very little about his family and didn't keep in touch.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 November 13 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There are three trees on Genes Reunited which would seem to have  aThomas Clark b Auchterderran 1882. The owners might be able to shed some light if it is the same Thomas.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 November 13 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes I could not see a death for her also unless she came to England with him ...I found a relative like him also abroad who abandoned his family and married again making himself younger and adding a middle name which he never had ......They don't make it easy for us do they

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 November 13 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi William,  Thanks for the tip but at present I don't subscribe to Genes Reunited and they want £15 for a six month subscription just to contact these people.  I've spent money to access records but this seems like an expense too far especially when other sites give a free introductory period.

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 November 13 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Could the records have been destroyed in a fire?
I have been informed by a cousin that in 1944 Thomas needed his birth certificate to complete a grant application for my aunt to attend grammar school.  They travelled to Scotland (Dumfries?) to the records office and were informed that some records from that time, including his, had been badly damaged/destroyed in a fire.  (He was issued with some documentation for the grant to be processed).

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 November 15 19:38 GMT (UK) »
New post here for background www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=727298.0

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk