Author Topic: Elizabeth Thompson in Dublin  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Blue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Thompson in Dublin
« on: Sunday 03 November 13 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am hoping some kind soul can help before I go completely insane  ??? I have found Elizabeth Thompson in the 1911 census at 133 Foley Street Dublin, she was born c1866 in Dublin. In 1911 she is listed as a widow and is living with sons John (born Dublin c 1898) and George born Dublin c1902). I know that george attended the Royal Hibernian Military School and went on to live in Kent England. He died aged 34 in Folkestone. His father was a serving soldier in the Royal Innisklling Fusiliers according to records of admission to the Royal Hibernian. I am drawing a complete blank in tracing this family further back. I believe Elizabeth was married to George Thompson (Snr) but I am only going on information from George Thompson (jnrs) marriage certificate. If anyone can help or point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful. Thank you  :)
BEER - Whitstable Kent. <br />BOAN, BONE, KELWAY - Cornwall.<br />FLISHER, HART, BOXER, CHAPMAN, PENNY - Folkestone. <br />CONRADI - Dover. GRIFFITHS - Dover and Walworth<br />EDWARDS, EGGLETON, SEAMAN, WISEMAN - Norfolk. <br />SULSTON - Oxfordshire. BRITNELL, Oxfordshire and Toronto Canada.
ADCOCK, HODGES, PETTIT - Folkestone area.
WILLETT - Sussex, Kent, Victoria Australia.
OVENDEN - Bridge
DYASON - Whitstable
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Thompson in Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 November 13 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Here's the family in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/North_Dock/Foley_Street/31522

Haven't found them in Ireland in 1901 but if Elizabeth's husband was in the army perhaps the family were elsewhere between the birth of John (c1898) and George (c1903).

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Blue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 November 13 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi adhadowey, thanks, I found them in 1911, but I am going insane trying to find any further trace of them, I had thought they might be elsewhere just got to try and fathom out where  >:(
BEER - Whitstable Kent. <br />BOAN, BONE, KELWAY - Cornwall.<br />FLISHER, HART, BOXER, CHAPMAN, PENNY - Folkestone. <br />CONRADI - Dover. GRIFFITHS - Dover and Walworth<br />EDWARDS, EGGLETON, SEAMAN, WISEMAN - Norfolk. <br />SULSTON - Oxfordshire. BRITNELL, Oxfordshire and Toronto Canada.
OVENDEN - Bridge
DYASON - Whitstable

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 November 13 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you said you'd found them in 1911, but I posted the link to save others from searching for them also.

When did George start at the school? (this might help pin down the father's death)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Blue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 November 13 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Yes and thanks again  :) The date of admission to the Royal Hibernian looks like 19 April 1916, it just says date of event? He then joined the Royal West Kent Regiment. I am assuming that George Snr died between 1903 (George Jnr's birth year) and 1911 when Elizabeth is shown on the census as a widow.

Thanks again for your help it is appreciated  :)
OVENDEN - Bridge
DYASON - Whitstable

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 November 13 11:39 GMT (UK) »
I have a facebook page that deals specifically with 'The Monto' Foley St/Corporation St/ Railway st area of Dublin with many photo's.
I have a large following and many old neighbours from Foley st etc on it.

Now I Have a photo of a man holding a child taken maybe 1930s with a name George Thompson in FOLEY ST/CORPORATION BUILDING'S, Maybe he could be your man.
 I will pm you the details, im having probs uploading photos here.

Offline Blue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 November 13 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grizzly1, that would be fantastic, thank you  :-*
OVENDEN - Bridge
DYASON - Whitstable

Offline madpat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 November 13 12:21 GMT (UK) »
The best thing would be to get George's birth certificate so you can find out the maiden name of Elizabeth and that might help. I found only one George Thompson born in Dublin that year
George Thompson
AMJ 1902 Dublin NOrth, Volume 2, page 458.
If you write to Roscommon and ask for this birth certificate for research purposes it only costs four euros as far as I know.

If George senior was in the Boer War he may have been in the First Battalion regimental number 2365.

Offline Blue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 November 13 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Madpat, thank you, It looks like that is my best course of action. Thanks for your help and advice  ;)
OVENDEN - Bridge
DYASON - Whitstable