Author Topic: Hosegood family  (Read 7083 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Hosegood family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I am glad we were both looking at the same thing ;)

This looks like James or a member of his family before he moved to Surrey.

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post or Plymouth and Cornish Advertiser (Exeter, England), Wednesday, April 8, 1868; Issue 5314.

Timwood Farm, St Decumans, Somerset
To be let by tender from Michaelmas next all that Messuage tenement & farm called Timwood Farm compromising a farm house with suitable outbuildings 83a. 1r. 2p (more or less) of arable, meadow pasture & orchard land now and for several years past in the occupation of Mr James Hosegood.
The estate is situate in a detached part of the parish of St Decumans and distant about 5 miles from Williton, 6 miles from Wiveliscombe and close to the Comberrow station on the West Somerset Mineral Railway. It will be let Tithe free.
For viewing the above apply to Mr Hosegood at the farm and for furthewr particulars to
Mr Collins, Orchard Wyndham, Taunton to whom tenders in writing are to be sent on or before the 11th day of April next.
Orchard Wyndham 20th March 1868
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tishnz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 June 20 03:55 BST (UK) »
Timwood was my family's home once upon a time.

My 2 x great grandfather Obed Hosegood (1836-1910) came from there when he and the Devon girl he married, Sarah Baker of Bampton, emigrated to New Zealand in 1864 or early 1865.

Obed was the third son of the eldest son so I guess wasn't going to inherit the farm and instead took ship downunder with his wife and infant daughter. Sarah died along with the baby giving birth to their 5th child and only son, in October 1871. She was not quite 31.

There is a tree for this line alone at

https://www.ancestry.com.au/family-tree/tree/169496734/family/familyview

Offline Tishnz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 June 20 06:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Rosie 99. I was kind of favoring the John and Mary line but then it got kinda confusing :) with Mary Hill the niece. The family living in Reugate makes sense since that was the address on the marriage certificate. I will go back and try to rebuild it with this line and see where it takes me. Somewhere along the line I had found Tom (1872) Hosegoods daughter living with a James Hosegood and that was when I tried to revalidate and correct some things and it just got to be a big mess. So I deleted everything and started over. But this is pretty much what made sense to me. The dates are a bit wonky but I'll push thru. On both my father ( deceased) and mothers side I have my mother and her brother left....going back in this line there was one guy who had 25 kids by 3 women...how is it I have no family haha. I appreciate the help...still in the learning process. Got help finding my Dad's family. His grandmother was in and out of workhouses in Edmonton and I live in Nova Scotia so I had no idea how that system worked. So sad but so very interesting!!! And I had a lot of success.

This is indeed the same family in my previous post and yes, and this James b 1831 who married Mary Hill is the older brother of my Obed and should have been inheriting the Timwood farm. He was still referred to as married on the 1881 census, but I do think the Mary burial in Reigate is correct. James was buried at Wiveliscombe in June 1913.

I don't know what went wrong to send James and the whole family so far from their historical region to work as a farmer in Chertsey but most appear to have all made it back to Somerset at some time.

Your Alice Mary is not just in my Tree, but I have a DNA match through her daughter Kathleen Emily Stobie and husband Percival Buzza to her daugther.