Author Topic: Sproston -Langton-Prescott families of London & Australia  (Read 12072 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Sproston -Langton-Prescott families of London & Australia
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 November 13 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes of course. And that would seem to be what happened with George's estate then -- if Archibald was the residuary legatee, say; but there would have had to be a finding that Archibald predeceased George, for intestacy to come into play ... George's will would be the one to look at here then, it being the only one there was anyway, apparently.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 08 November 13 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes of course. And that would seem to be what happened with George's estate then -- if Archibald was the residuary legatee, say; but there would have had to be a finding that Archibald predeceased George, for intestacy to come into play ... George's will would be the one to look at here then, it being the only one there was anyway, apparently.

Yes it would certainly be interesting. What particularly intrigues me is that A.J. was said to be entitled (subject to survivorship) to half of George's residuary estate.  Who was entitled to the other half? If it was Eva, who was still alive, why would the residue be deemed intestate?

Added: ditto if it was Arthur Langton, or indeed William Frederick Sproston (another nephew of George, b Cleethorpes 26 Dec 1866 & died 1954, who was his executor).

Maybe just a portion of the residue fell to be treated as intestate for some reason.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 08 November 13 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly Lavinia also has a son James Sproston who ends up in Canada.

In 1916, in Canadian Expeditionary Force records, he cites his mother Lavinia Sproston, of 25 Jury St, Gt Yarmouth as his next-of-kin.  He claims a birthdate of 21 Jan 1889 at this stage and residence at Hazenmore, Saskatchewan.

In 1954 he travels from Canada to London, giving as his UK address 25 Alexandra Mansions, Judd St - which of course had been Archibald's address when he died in 1924. Again James' birthdate is given as 21 Jan 1889. He is single, retired, permanently resident in Canada.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 08 November 13 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Back to trying to sort out Eva ...

There is only one Prescott in any record who looks remotely like what we know so far.

1891 in Kings Pyon, Herefordshire

Charles Warre Prescot    52 - Justice of Peace, living on own means, born Stockport Cheshire
Mary Prescot    32
Cynric P Prescot    4
Rupert W K Prescot    2
Jane Violet Prescot    6/12

with multiple servants. More children born later. Check Cynric's and Rupert's occupation in 1911.

Rupert Warre Prescot birtn reg 1889 Weobley
Married in Bristol in 1954 and died in Lewisham in 1971.

Cynric Puleston (transcribed as Fuleston) Prescot birth reg Dec 1886 Hereford reg dist
There is no further trace of Cynric in England after 1911.

Genealogy for father Charles Warre Prescot
http://www.halhed.com/t4r/getperson.php?personID=I7259&tree=tree1
(Charles's mother was born in Rugby)
"died 30 January 1922 Administration (with Will) London 28 March to Cynric Puleston Prescot captain R.C.S. Effects £18681 9s. 7d."

http://www.thepeerage.com/p31664.htm#i316639
"Brigadier Cynric Puleston Prescot graduated with a Master of Arts (M.A.).1 He was invested as a Commander, Order of the British Empire (C.B.E.).1 He was registered as a Member, Institution of Civil Engineers (M.I.C.E.)."
- shows a child but no wife

http://www.thepeerage.com/p14153.htm#i141527
- shows a different child but no wife

Googling his name finds military records and a book, "The chronicles of the Prescotts of Ayrefield. Compiled by Ernest Prescot Hill. Edited by Lieut.-Col. C. P. Prescot"

But I find no record of marriage or death (including in South Australia).

But aha, I have the wrong brother.

1925, birth of Rupert Warre Prescot, son of Rupert Warre Prescot and EVE SPROSTON, Norwood, SA.

There we are. Mr. Prescot. Who was evidently not married to Ms. Sproston, unless the marriage took place somewhere other than England or South Australia.

If only the newspaper reports had spelled the name correctly, I would've found them long ago.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 08 November 13 17:25 GMT (UK) »
In 1916, in Canadian Expeditionary Force records, he cites his mother Lavinia Sproston, of 25 Jury St, Gt Yarmouth as his next-of-kin.  He claims a birthdate of 21 Jan 1889 at this stage.
And yet he wasn't in the 1891 or 1901 household and there is no birth as Westgate, Stanley or Sproston!  ???

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 08 November 13 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant :) (on the Rupert Prescot nexus)

It looks as though they did marry.

GRO Consular Marriages (1849-1965)

PRESCOT, Rupert W K
LANGTON, Eve

Bilbao, 1921-1925

Volume 16, page 509. 

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 08 November 13 17:28 GMT (UK) »
And yet he wasn't in the 1891 or 1901 household and there is no birth as Westgate, Stanley or Sproston!  ???

Weird, isn't it?

I'm wondering whether he's 5 yrs old than claimed, registered as Stanley James Westgate, Mar qtr 1884 Yarmouth.  I wondered also whether his emigration to Canada might have been under the Home Children programme, but that wouldn't be a good fit with his citing his mum as NOK (complete with address) in 1916.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 08 November 13 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Aha!! Now how did she come to be Langton ...  ;D

Bilbao ... and there I was searching for outbound passengers to Australia ...

Obituary of the child born in South Australia:

http://www.redpathfuneralhome.com/obits/obituary.php?id=369224

Dr. Rupert Prescot of Carnduff, passed away on Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at the age of 84.

Rupert was born in Australia on December 23, 1925. He was educated in England.

He joined the Royal Air Force from school, and first came to Canada to complete his training as a pilot, but the atom bomb was dropped, and the need for more pilots ended.

After getting his medical degree from Bristol University, he practiced in England, Liberia, and West Africa for 14 years. Rupert came to Canada, and settled in Carnduff, SK., in 1974, where he practiced until his sudden passing.

He is survived by ...

The obit is dated 2010 so I omit the names of the family, but it would certainly be possible to contact them from the info there.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 08 November 13 17:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering whether he's 5 yrs old than claimed, registered as Stanley James Westgate, Mar qtr 1884 Yarmouth.  I wondered also whether his emigration to Canada might have been under the Home Children programme, but that wouldn't be a good fit with his citing his mum as NOK (complete with address) in 1916.

And that would make him "John" in the 1891 household. ;) For whom I think I didn't find a birth. Makes sense that he was named for his father James Sproston/Stanley.

Given their apparent comfortable situation after James Sproston's death, I think it unlikely he was a Home Child. (Citing his mum as NOK would not be unheard of -- my great-aunt's husband did for WWI, after coming to Canada as a Home Child about 1907.)

James Sproston born 1889 traveled to Quebec in 1905.
There is also a 1949 crossing to Halifax.
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/2QSF-J9F
J Sproston passenger to Halifax 1920
FindMyPast shows an adult female and an infant male accompanying.
> this could be a completely different J Sproston, but it looks rather like it could be him, marrying in England (or Scotland, the ship sailed from Glasgow - but no marriage in Scotland 1910-20) after the war and returning to Canada.