Author Topic: Harriet Stack  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harriet Stack
« on: Tuesday 05 November 13 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I hope I am posting this in the right place.  Also I have to acknowledge that the text is a cousin's.  We share the same gt grandmother, and we have only just got to know each other on the net.  Clearly we share the same interest in an ancestress, Harriet Stack.  My cousin's text explains the rest:

"I’m currently doing some research on my family history. The records in Ireland aren’t readily available online before 1850. We have no definitive proof at this stage, but believe there is a strong possibility that there is a relationship to General Edward Stack b 1750, d 1833. My father recalls older generations speaking of a French connection in the Family. This was possibly General Stack’s wife who we think was called Amelia or some possible variation of this name.  [Amélie? - Xotan]

Amelia is a name that has featured in the Simpson family through several generations. I have an aunt (my father’s sister) named Amelia. My Great Grandmother and Great Great Grandmother were also Amelia. Amelia first appeared in the family tree with my Great Great Grandmother - Amelia Simpson (née Roche or Roache – the exact spelling is unclear, but we think it’s Roche). She married my Great Grandfather, Alfred Simpson, in January 1880. She was born in 1863 and died on February 2, 1933. I can see from the details on the marriage certificate that her father’s name was Stephen Roche. There is no reference to her mother’s name. We’re guessing that her mother could have been a daughter of General Stack. 

There is a story in the family that General Stack’s wife came from a French Protestant family and converted to Catholicism in order to marry him. Following this, her family disowned her, but didn’t give her some property in Dublin which we believe was in the Golden Bridge area where my father’s side of the family originates from.

Do you have any information regarding General Stack’s wife and children? This may help me tie Amelia Roche to General Stack. There is some information online about General Stack and his career, but I've been unable to find anything regarding his wife and children.

Thanks,"

The same story has come down on my side of the family.  IN fact, I recall my grandmother Amelia (obit 1962) refer to the General's wife as Lady Amelia, who presumably was thought to be Harriet's mother.  None of us, however, have been able to go back beyond Stephen Roche (1818 - 1893) and his wife Harriet Stack.

At this point, having hit the brickwall, is there any chance that some kind soul out there could have some information which would advance our search, please?

Xotan/David

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet Stack
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Xotan

Can you just tell us exactly what it is that you are looking for !?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Is this the same chap that you are talking about ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Stack

and I take it that you are trying to prove that Harriet is his daughter !

Do you not have her marriage to Stephen ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 15:15 GMT (UK) »
This article mentions a son called Patrick - have you followed him up to see if there are any leads ?

http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.britisles.ireland.ker.general/387.503/mb.ashx

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 15:25 GMT (UK) »
 http://www.rootschat.com/links/0wra/

Another mention here !

Tara

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello taramcdsmall

The General Stack Wiki link you provide is indeed the person we are told (family lore) is the parent of Harriet Stack.

In my searching I came across a Patrick, but he seemed a son of Harriet, by Stephen Roche.  I have been unable to find any other reference to him, and am struggling with your references  on  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0wra/  and http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.britisles.ireland.ker.general/387.503/mb.ashx as They are closely written and difficult to follow, with my eyesight.
down
Apropos, I seem to have the full generations down from Harriet and Stephen Roche's marriage.

So, basically I am trying to establish one way or the other if there is any foundation to the family lore that would seek to link Harriet Stack with General Stack.

From the kind of life he led, I wonder that he would have found time to father children.  Any of the material on him on the net that I have come across focuses almost totally on his military/naval career.  I have not come across any reference to a marriage or to family.

Any pointers in that direction would be greatly appreciated.

Xotan/David

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 18:33 GMT (UK) »
It does seem strange that there is no mention in any of the articles of a wife or children.

My only suggestion is to see if there are French Newspaper archives for 1833 that may have his Obit in it ..... a long shot ..... but given his importance I'm surprised that there is not more information on him !

Tara

Offline madpat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 19:17 GMT (UK) »
I found the marriage you spoke about of Amelia Roche to Alfred Simpson. Amelia's name is written as Emilia Roache but the details you mention correspond St James Church and she came from Golden Bridge. Alfred's father was Enoch. I couldn't find any births to this couple in Dublin.

I then found a birth of Alfred's brother called Enoch baptised 22 June but born 16 June 1868 to Enoch simpson and Eliza Murphy. Presumably Alfred's mother too.

There was a marriage of a Richard Simpson son of Enoch Simpson who married 14 August 1892 in St James from Spa Road Inchicore. This must be one of the youngest sons of Enoch probably born around 1870 if he married early but he could be an older son marrying later in life. The witnesses were William Haynes and Maria Kelly.

I didn't find anything for Amelia apart from her wedding. If they were military family you might find info on Find My Past to look for overseas or military births.

So the story so far is Enoch Simpson and Eliza Murphy had at least three sons: Richard, Alfred and Enoch.

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mad Pat

Here's what I have

Simpson Gen I

Enoch Simpson 1825- 1868 m Eliza Murphy 1827 - post 1868
                                          I
Gen II
Richard m Catherine Byrne  1858 -    Enoch Henry b 1868   Alfred 1859 - 1893 m Amelia Roche
            I                                                                                                     I                   
Gen III                                                                                                        I
Enoch   Kathleen   Mgt                                                                                  I
                                                                                                                  I
                                                                              Harriet   Mgt   Amelia   Florence   Frederick

On the Roche (sometimes Roache) side

Gen I

Stephen Roche 1828 - 1893 m Harriet Stack
                                          I
Gen II                                 I
                                          I
Amelia 1853 - 1933 m (1880 Alfred Simpson)  James 1847 -   Stephen 1850 -    William 1854 -

I am slowly building on the later generations.  In fact, I personally remember all Generation II of the Simpsons.  The Roche branch is another matter entirely.  I mainly only have dates of birth - so far.

The Emilia you found is in fact a Latin version of Amelia.  If the priest's Latin had been a little more classical he might have given it as Aemilia!

I have not been able to give all the dates above.  But I do have a little more information, such as
Enoch Henry's baptism, and Richards marriage.

I note also that the Haynes family (Sometimes Haines) crops up a lot on the records.  They seem to be related.

Insofar as the three Simpson brothers go, I reckon that Alfred was the eldest, then Enoch Henry, and Richard was the youngest.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Xotan/David