Author Topic: Society of Genealogists  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Jenny Elizabeth

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Society of Genealogists
« on: Monday 12 July 04 18:00 BST (UK) »
I would like to visit the Society of Genealogists but am a bit scared.  Has anyone been who could give me some advice?  I went to Kew recently and felt very out of my depth.   I specifically would like to look at apprentice records.  What I really hate are fiche and microfilm  readers or should I say they hate me.    When I was at Kew I felt as though everyone could see how incompetent I was although truthfully they were probably all too interested in their own research.   Any strategies to spare my blushes gratefully accepted.

Jenny
 :-[
I am interested in Angliss and variants anywhere but particularly Coventry and the rest of  Warwickshire.   Also interested in Cramp and Burnett (Warwickshire) and Hayward (Lower Slaughter, Gloucestershire)

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Society of Genealogists
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 July 04 22:25 BST (UK) »
I read once that a good strategy to use if you think you are in a potentially blush-making situation is to imagine that all the other people present are naked!!!
Apart from that....remember that all those people at Kew or anywhere else had to learn how to do things just the same as you...and they still have to learn. Just one example: the position you have to put the fiche in the reader at Suffolk RO is different to the way you put it in at Essex RO.
I've not been to Kew yet and I'm sure that it will be an information overload situation for me unless (a) I have calculated what I need to look for and (b) I make sure that I find someone who knows how to find it and explain it to me -a member of staff. See if you can make them blush. ;D 
Also, take your time to work systematically through the fiche. Sometimes, because of the way they were filmed it is very easy to jump from one part of the fiche to another and miss bits in between so make sure you see the page numbers or dates in sequence. And as always in family searches make a record of what you searched as well as what you found so that you don't repeat the same search another day.
Good luck Clincher

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 July 04 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

I am sorry I do not have actual SOG experience to pass on,  but I have loads of feeling out of my depth experience

I think Clincher has given excellent advice.   ;D

Try to remember everyone has to start somewhere,  and if you think of the people on RootsChat,  the more experienced are usually helping the less experienced.

A strategy I use,  is to remember that if anyone is looking down their nose at you it is their misfortune to have been brought up so badly that they have become an unpleasant adult.  For that they are only to be pitied,  and I think myself lucky that I was brought up to become a more friendly and helpful person.  Try it,  it works in all sorts of situations.   :D

And you yourself said everyone else at Kew was too busy with their own research to notice you fumbling with the fiche reader.   They were,  I know when I am at the library,  a riot could break out and I would hardly flinch beacause family history is completely absorbing.  8)

Enjoy your visit,  relax and have fun,  make friends with the fiche reader,  they are very misunderstood you know,  they only want to help but people keep swearing at them under their breath. ::)

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 July 04 09:43 BST (UK) »
I have to agree with Jenny Elizabeth the SOG does look scary, just from their website!

In the majority of places I have been from libraries to record office, the FRC etc the staff are amazing.  There is one exception I won't go into!!!  Why is it only me she is rude to? Heyho.

They are used to people of all abilities and in the norm have heard every possible question.  When faced with a new machine I always ask the staff how to load and work it, I explain that I have used other models and want to make sure I don't scratch the film.  It is important to them that we have a certain level of competency.  I've found they are always more than helpful.

There are people who believe because they use an office regularly that they have a higher status than you but frankly Chris is right - they are to be pitied.
I have been shushed before today in the FRC for gasping in delight at finding a long-lost family on the census. I just ignore them and I'm sorry they don't enjoy their hobby/work the way I do.

Go for it, if you are feeling oppressed by the atmoshere or unsure of yourself... wave your knickers in the air and shout huzzah...it's census time!
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Jenny Elizabeth

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 July 04 13:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the fantastic advice.  It's nice to know I'm  not the only one swearing at the fiche readers etc.  Embarrassingly I am actually a librarian but I have never worked int he public sector so have either not had to work with fiche readers or have had somewhere to hide!!  Proper librarians usually are dab hands with them.   I will now go to SOG and imagine everyone naked!  Will also try to be kind to the fiche readers and speak soothingly to them.

Best Wishes

Jenny
 ;D
I am interested in Angliss and variants anywhere but particularly Coventry and the rest of  Warwickshire.   Also interested in Cramp and Burnett (Warwickshire) and Hayward (Lower Slaughter, Gloucestershire)

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 July 04 15:01 BST (UK) »
I know this is probably bad advice (from the record office point of view) but I've had times of irritation because of fiche and film readers.  I bought one of those little blowing brushes for cameras (£2) and use it to clean all the dust and fluff off the lens it makes the 1841 census so much easier to read!

P ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart

Online intermittently!

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 July 04 20:02 BST (UK) »
Pam,

frankly Chris is right - they are to be pitied.

???  I don't look a bit like Chris.  ???

Jenny,

I hope you have a profitable visit,  let us know how you get on.   ;D

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 July 04 22:21 BST (UK) »
Oh Kazza, I am sooo sorry.........

When I do posts in work I hide most of the browser and didn't check...

Oh I'm so sorry  :-[

Pam
 ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~

Online intermittently!

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 July 04 22:35 BST (UK) »
Poor Kazza.  :'(
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.