Author Topic: Anyone any info about Summergrove?  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Jackie M

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone any info about Summergrove?
« on: Wednesday 06 November 13 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I wondered if anyone could shed any light on the history of Summergrove in Whitehaven? I am involved with the refurbishment of the site and would love to be able to put some of the history of the site into the new place. I have a photo of the original building which is beautiful but have no details of when the original building was built, when it was demolished, why it was demolished etc. Any help would be great to keep the history alive! :)
Miller, Lowther, Camm, Stewart, Whitehaven, Cumberland

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone any info about Summergrove?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 December 13 10:18 GMT (UK) »
In 1761 Summergrove was sold by Anthony Grayson to James Spedding (1720-88), the son of Carlisle Spedding, a famous mining engineer and agent to Sir James Lowther. James married Elizabeth Harrington (1745-1821) and their son James (1779-1863) was a captain of the 1st Foot Guards and Major in the Royal Westmorland Militia.
His son James Dykes Spedding (1810-1851) married the Hon Emily Wyndham and their son James Wyndham Harrington Percy Spedding (1849-1924) inherited. This James died without issue in Capri in 1924 and Summergrove passed to his cousin Mark Quayle. In 1931 the estate was sold to Quayle's relative John Anthony Spedding (1878-1940) of Storms, Keswick. This John had a son Charles Spedding (1907-61) but I do not know if he lived at Summergrove.
In Cumberland Families and Heraldry, from which this information is taken, under Spedding of Summergrove there is listed Joseph Carlisle Harrington Spedding (1905-??) who had a son John Carlisle Spedding (1951-).
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,