Author Topic: St. Peter's Cemetery Dalbeth  (Read 3852 times)

Offline Bardany

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. Peter's Cemetery Dalbeth
« on: Thursday 07 November 13 15:24 GMT (UK) »
My gr-gr-Grandmother Margaret McDonnell [nee Ambrose ] and her daughter Catherine died in a house fire in Govan in Feb 1883. I have their death records and coroner's reports from SP. Another daughter Margaret died in Nov 1883. I only yesterday discovered that all three are buried in Common Ground in St. Peter's cemetery Dalbeth. Can anyone tell me if there are any gravestones in the common ground?
Barr,Hughes,McGuigan,McDonnell,Lavery, Weir,McGurk, McKee, Campbell Ambrose Sweeney O.Donnell Tennyson Mackle

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St. Peter's Cemetery Dalbeth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 November 13 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Gerry Farrell is the expert on this burial ground but I think it would be safe to say that gravestones were not allowed on common ground in any Scottish graveyard or cemetery. There will be more than the 2 you mentioned in that grave, probably 2 more but none of them related, so one family would not be allowed to erect a stone for one (or in your case 2) of the paupers buried there. Don't forget, if someone was buried in common ground it meant that the family couldn't afford to bury them, let alone erect a stone.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 November 13 21:24 GMT (UK) »
I was at St Peter's recently.
There are no stones on the common ground burial areas.
From what I could see, it has been cordoned off by metal railings on all 4 sides.
I couldn't see a way to get in to the common ground burial area and assume it is closed to the public?

Offline Bardany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 November 13 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to you both for your rapid replies. Much appreciated. At least I know where they rest.
Bardany
Barr,Hughes,McGuigan,McDonnell,Lavery, Weir,McGurk, McKee, Campbell Ambrose Sweeney O.Donnell Tennyson Mackle

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 November 13 23:02 GMT (UK) »
The common ground in Dalbeth is the area to the side of the cottage at the London Road side of the cemetery. There is no memorial stones for this area and from what i have seen in the registers it only lists the lairs as common Ground (East or West Side) If you look at the photo of an old map of Dalbeth you'll see the area is unlined.

Gerry

My gr-gr-Grandmother Margaret McDonnell [nee Ambrose ] and her daughter Catherine died in a house fire in Govan in Feb 1883. I have their death records and coroner's reports from SP. Another daughter Margaret died in Nov 1883. I only yesterday discovered that all three are buried in Common Ground in St. Peter's cemetery Dalbeth. Can anyone tell me if there are any gravestones in the common ground?
Farrell / Mcpolan / Devlin / Flood / Kelly/ McGovern/ McCormick
Letham / Leatham / Cattanach/ ODonnell/ BoyleRoss/ McLeod
McAnaw/McInaw/McNay/ Finn/ Eliott
Pollock / Hyslop/ Elder/ Renfrew/ Hart/ Brydon

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals