Author Topic: Families Allen, Delamare and Davis in Mitcham/Streatham area  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Families Allen, Delamare and Davis in Mitcham/Streatham area
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 13:16 GMT (UK) »
I can't find anything about the suicide of Thomas Henry Allen in online newspapers.  I would suggest you contact Croydon Local Studies  http://www.croydon.gov.uk/leisure/archives/lslibrary
and ask if they might have either coroners reports or Mitcham newspapers for that time.
Like Dawn I was surprised you dismissed Clifford.  His date of birth & date & place of death is very precise.  This information could only be known by someone who was a close relative or had those certificates!

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 14:25 GMT (UK) »
I can't find anything about the suicide of Thomas Henry Allen in online newspapers.  I would suggest you contact Croydon Local Studies  http://www.croydon.gov.uk/leisure/archives/lslibrary
and ask if they might have either coroners reports or Mitcham newspapers for that time.
Like Dawn I was surprised you dismissed Clifford.  His date of birth & date & place of death is very precise.  This information could only be known by someone who was a close relative or had those certificates!

Jane

Thanks Jane. Yes I really was too quick to dismiss the entry for Clifford. I hadn't realised any connection to Rochford and had been concentrating on the south of London. Allen being such a common name has led to error in the past. Sometimes it's the fresh pair of eyes that does the trick.

I've emailed the Croydon Local Studies Centre about Thomas Henry's death so hopefully they can help.
I've just been trying to fathom my way through the Register of Births, Marriages and Deaths web site to enquire about a death certificate, but that's almost defeated me so I'm taking a break to post this before trying again ::)
MATSON-East Kent.  HURST- Oxfordshire.

Offline Nanfran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 03:31 GMT (UK) »
I canot tell how old this post is, since there is no year date given, but I discovered it when searching for Constance Joyce Delamare.  I doubt that the info I will give will be any real help, but knowing that one thing sometimes leads to another I'll share this:  Constance Joyce Delamare was a niece of my uncle (by marriage), Frederick Steer, who died in Mitcham, Surrey, and her name appears on his October 1985 death certificate as the informant.  It states her name and relationship to the deceased (his niece) and her address at that time as 63, Arundel Avenue, East Ewell, Epsom, Surrey.   Goodness knows if that might still be her address, but maybe it will be of some use to you. 

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nanfran,
This post by me is quite old.
I don't have any links to your info.
The most recent Steer I have is Albert born about 1898 in Lambeth, son of Albert Henry Steer and Louisa Annie Trotter. The couple had a daughter named Mabel Louise Emma Steer who was born in Sept Q. 1903 in Clapham and married Harry John Allen in Jun Q 1927 Wandsworth.
Thank you again for the info.
If we can tie anyone else in then any ideas would be good.
What I do still find surprising is that I just can't find any record of the suicide of Thomas Henry Allen in early 1938, being reported anywhere.

Offline Nanfran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Doverrog:  Thanks for the reply.  My Uncle (by marriage) Fred Steer was brother of Albert ("Bert") and Mabel Louise Emma, and I'm not sure whose daughter Constance Joyce Delamare was -- Bert's or Mabel's?   Uncle Fred had another niece, whose name I don't recall, who emigrated to Canada and wrote regularly to him.   I guess it could have actually been Connie who went to Canada and perhaps came back to UK years later.   I imagine that she is well into her 70s now, and I suppose it's possible that she still resides at the address I gave you.  It might be worth trying to contact her for any nuggets of info she might be able to give you.  I have a question or two for her also, and am going to try that address.

By the way, I had a frustrating time trying to track down Uncle Fred's date of death in order to get his death certificate (there was some mystery about his death which I wanted to solve).  There seemed to be no online record of his death.  Then thanks to a suggestion from a fellow Ancestry user, I tried spelling Steer as Steel . . . and sure enough, a transcriber had misread the handwritten "Steer" which made the "r" appear to be an "l".   Problem solved and death certificate in my hands two weeks later. 

I realize that none of the above is likely to be much help to you, but sometimes unlikely things turn out to be a stepping stone to something relevant.   

All the best!

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello again nanfran
Thanks for the info. Although this is a way from my own family tree. it's very true that all information can be of help.
Would you be able to post any dates/marriage details etc you have for Frederick, Albert etc so that I can add the information into my records?
I have  Constance Joyce Allen born June Q 1930 Lambeth as daughter of Harry John Allen and Mabel Louise Emma Steer. Constance married John Edward de la Mare in Sutton March Q 1971.
Harry Allen and Mabel Steer also had another daughter Beryl Eileen born June Q 1932.

Offline Nanfran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Doverrog,

You filled in two or three details I was lacking -- thanks!  You ask for any dates that I might have, so here they are:

Frederick William Steer:
Born December 12, 1910 in Streatham
Married Frances Fearey (1908 - 1983) August 6, 1938 in Mitcham
Died  October 21, 1985 in Mitcham
(Fred & Frances had no children.)

Fred's brother Albert ("Bert") Henry Steer 2nd:
Born about 1898 in Lambeth
Dates of marriage and death not known

Fred's sister Mabel Louisa Emma Steer:
Born June 4,1903 in Wandsworth
Married Henry John Allen
Had daughter Beryl Eileen, born 1932
Died January 1996 in Sutton.

I believe that Constance Joyce married Allan Hartley in 1942. 
Allan Hartley died in 1969
Widowed Constance married John Edward Delamare (De la Mare?) in 1971, in Sutton

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 January 16 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.
One question though.
Fred's sister Mabel Louisa Emma Steer:
Born June 4,1903 in Wandsworth
Married Henry John Allen
Had daughter Beryl Eileen, born 1932
Died January 1996 in Sutton.

Do you mean that Mabel, Henry or Beryl dies January 1996?

I may have found some other info as well. Will post again,

Offline Nanfran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 January 16 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it was Mabel who died in 1996  :)