Author Topic: Families Allen, Delamare and Davis in Mitcham/Streatham area  (Read 4021 times)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Families Allen, Delamare and Davis in Mitcham/Streatham area
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 November 13 05:57 GMT (UK) »
The death reg. comes from Ancestry which is more comprehensive than FreeBMD.
Died Q4 1998 Mid Surrey reg. district aged 88.

Working from the birth reg. of Edna R Allen, Q3 1920, Wandsworth reg. district.  MMN Anwin.  Like you I couldn't find an Allen/Anwin marriage, in fact, the name ANWIN seemed very sparse on the indexes!  So, I tried, UNWIN.  Sure enough I got lucky!
A Rhoda Jane UNWIN married a George William ALLEN, Q3 1908, Wandsworth RD.  I'm sure Edna R. Allen is their daughter who later married John Davis in 1954.
So, trying to figure out relationships regarding the names in the will.
Florence Hilda ALLEN  who married Herbert Victor HURLE in 1932.  She was the sister of George William ALLEN who married Rhoda Jane UNWIN in 1908.  George & Rhoda had a daughter, Edna R. Allen in 1920 who later married John Davis & became Edna Davis.  So Edna was the niece of Herbert's wife, Florence.
All this needs double checking of course,

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 November 13 13:25 GMT (UK) »
That's brilliant. I've been going around in circles and simply didn't think of Unwin.
I have one more piece for the family though -
I believe that George Allen and Rhoda Unwin may also have had a male child.
I have a Joan B born Mar Q 1922 as well as now Edna in 1920 but nothing about any make children.
Could I ask you to have a look please?
I really do appreciate your help in this.
MATSON-East Kent.  HURST- Oxfordshire.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 November 13 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Well, up to April 2 1911, George & Rhoda didn't have any children.  If you check FreeBMD for Allen births with the MMN, UNWIN, you get 3 possible male births, Chesterfield, Derbyshire but you can discount this one as there's a marriage for a Vernon Allen to an Unwin in 1911 & these children born in Chesterfield would be their's.
This leaves, a male birth in Rochford, Essex in 1913 & another in Richmond South in 1915.
I found a tree on Ancestry that has Clifford George Allen (1913-1991) as their son so you might like to follow that up.
George W. Allen died Q2 1966, Wandsworth RD & Rhoda Jane died Q1 1968 also Wandsworth RD.
Can't seem to find an obvious family link between the Delamare &/or Davis/Allen families,

Jane

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 November 13 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jane.
The information about the male child came from a colleague of ours on this forum.
Ladyhawk. I have this note -
Electoral Roll 1923/1932 /35/37/47/50 /58 /63 /65
20 Fallsbrook Road SW 16
George William Allen
Rhoda Jane Allen
also a male & female possible children of G & R

I think the Rochford and Richmond can be discounted and the Clifford George Allen is pretty certainly not part of the same family.

Perhaps De la Mare was just an acquaintance after all.

While we're doing so well could I please ask you about another member of the Allen family?
I have a Harry John Allen who was born 3rd July 1896 in Cockermouth.
He married Mabel Louisa Emma Steer in 1927 at Wandsworth district.
The couple lived in Fallsbrooke Road, Streatham.

I can't find the dates of death for either of them, but it was after 1932.

They had two daughters Constance in 1930 and Beryl in 1932.

I believe that Constance married an Allan Hartley in 1949 but after that no further record.

In the same family I have Reginald Gordon Allen, born 1933, who was alive in 1953 and lived in Streatham/Mitcham and his wife Bessie, possibly born 1933 . I can't find date of death for them either.

Roger

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 November 13 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Not much luck with this Roger  :(
The nearest death I can get for Harry John Allen is Q4 1983, Kettering RD, Northants (DOB about 1897)
Too many Mabel Allen's to find a match I'm afraid.
Nothing for Reginald Gordon & Bessie (probably not her given name) but the index only goes up to 2007 or they could still be alive,

Jane

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 November 13 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking Jane. I appreciate your trouble.

As it's remembrance day, I thought you might find this of interest -

I have a Thomas Henry Allen, born 18th September 1880 whose death was recorded in the March quarter 1938 Surrey N.E. 2a 151.I think.
He was one of 3 brothers and a friend who served in WW1. His brother Albert Edward Allen who was  in the Canadian Expeditionary Force along with Thomas Henry, was killed on the 5th June 1916 at Ypres and his name is recorded on the Menim Gate.
The family story is that Thomas Henry Allen never recovered from seeing his brother blown up and that after the war he committed suicide in a metal workshop in Mitcham which was a business run by yet another brother, Frederick James Allen.

I have been trying to find any reports in newspapers etc to confirm the events but no luck.
Do you know if Coroners reports were published or how I might find out more about the suicide?

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 November 13 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just to let you know that I am concerned we may be talking about living people here so I'm keeping an eye on developments here.

There are lots of names and lots of look-ups going on.

Harry Allen appears in the electoral registers for 1928 as Henry so his death may be registered under either name.

I'm a bit confused over his wife Mabel. The er's don't have ages but can you confirm from the marriage cert that she was born about 1903 and her father was Albert (this Mabel appears in the school records online).

If so, there is a death in 1996 of Mabel Louisa Steer born 4 June 1903 (same date as school register).

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 November 13 23:07 GMT (UK) »
I think the Rochford and Richmond can be discounted and the Clifford George Allen is pretty certainly not part of the same family.

Clifford George Allen is with George & Rhoda Allen at Fallsbrook Road upto 1946, so shouldn't be dismissed as being part of the family especially as there is the Allen/Unwin birth in 1913 in Rochford which could be his.

As to Constance, (Connie Joyce in your opening post) after her husband died in 1969, re remarried John Delamare in 1971. He may have died in 1998. Constance J was alive in Littlehampton in 2004 and may still be alive, although possibly in a home. Until I can check the death records after 2007 which will be sometime this week, I'll leave her name in the topic, but it is subject to removal later.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 November 13 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello dawnsh.
I appreciate this getting rather recent and hopefully we haven't referred to any living person.
I haven't been able to find the death record for Alan E.Hartley but his name is listed as Harrley in the typed index for the marriage so I guess a typo.

Thanks you for your help and if you can confirm anything about Constance then I appreciate it.

I think it better to transfer the death of Thomas Henry Allen to a new thread so I have started one in the Surrey section. I hope that's ok?