Author Topic: Llanuwchllyn baptism  (Read 4684 times)

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Llanuwchllyn baptism
« on: Friday 08 November 13 23:03 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has access to Llanuwchllyn, Merionethshire, baptism records, I would be most grateful if they could try to find the baptism of Ursula or Asley Williams or Jones, born c 1820.
The combination of possible names is due to:-
Her 1852 parish marriage record in Ffestiniog shows her name as Asley Williams, but her father as William Jones
The GRO Index lists her as Williams
The Merionethshire Registrars marriage index has entries for the marriage under both names - Williams & Jones
She emigrated to America with her husband and her name there is Ursula
A newspaper announcement of the wedding shows her as Asley.
I haven't been able to find her in either the 1841 or 1851 censuses.
If you are still reading after all that ???, thanks for any possible help you can give
Cynfran

Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Online DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Llanuwchllyn baptism
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 November 13 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch has an Ursle Jones baptised in Llangower, near Llanuwchllyn, on 12th Sep 1819 to William and Elizabeth.

Looking at the marriage register, I think the name is Usley. Two names have a mark in the same handwriting and the other, Ann Jones, has a pointed A. Asley is rounded with an open top and so could be a U.

If her father is William, she may have been using patronymics and so could have Jones or Williams as a surname.

David

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Llanuwchllyn baptism
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 November 13 11:01 GMT (UK) »
David
Thank you, that's brilliant!
As it happens, I did have her mother as 'Elizabeth', but didn't include it in first post as, very remiss of me, wasn't too sure how I came by it, think it might have been from her US death record.
Her parish marriage record gives residence as the Welsh version of 'Goat Inn', Llanuwchlyn and, in the 1851 census, there is indeed a Jones family living there, with a one year old daughter 'Uresley'. I wonder if the father might have been her brother?
Anyway, thank you again for your help.
Cynfran
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire