Author Topic: William Oliver's parents  (Read 4538 times)

Offline Lenagh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Oliver's parents
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 September 15 11:25 BST (UK) »
Absolutely right!  £7 for 30 credits is a bargain compared to other countries; however, the other person is paying £7 plus whatever the currency exchange rate of the day is – that extra fee, whatever it may be, is additional to the £7 and could be a burden depending on ones financial circumstances.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 September 15 11:41 BST (UK) »
Indeed. But even allowing for unfavourable exchange rates and a transaction fee (one of my credit cards currently charges me 2.75% for a foreign transaction; the other does not charge any fee for foreign currency transactions) it is not going to make the cost 15 times what you or I would pay.

Perhaps South Africa is different, but I still cannot imagine that they could charge 15 times the value of the original.

(Digression - Has anyone ever tried to get a certificate from South Africa? How does one go about it and what do they cost?)

Maybe Gingerbit has been using one of these services that charges you through the nose for services you don't need, like the companies that charge people for getting them an EHIC* or English and Welsh certificates? I can imagine that some con-men might advertise an intermediary service to supply SP credits?

(*For non-European readers, that's a European Health Insurance Card, which is available free of charge to residents of every participating European country and gives access to free emergency medical care in every participating European country. Scammers are cashing in by fooling people into paying them a fee for obtaining an EHIC.)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 September 15 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hello StacyP
Thank you so much for the information. It certainly does help to confirm that I have been on the right path with the Oliver family and can add your details in the correct place. Welcome to Rootschat and if I can help with any Oliver information please get in touch.
Gingerbit
Smith, Oliver, Macrae, Laughland, Bower, Greer, Wylie, Forrest, Eddie, McCallum.  All Scotland

Offline Lenagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 September 15 15:05 BST (UK) »
Good points, Forfarian!  :)