Author Topic: Robert Todd and Mary Asquith  (Read 8844 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Todd and Mary Asquith
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 November 13 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil!
          This sounds interesting! Do you have any parents for Robert Todd and Mary Asquith?
Thanks, Andrew

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 November 13 12:38 GMT (UK) »
I referred in post 3 to the Parents of Robert, they were William Todd and Jane Rowell, I have no further information on the Asquiths except that they too are a long standing family in that area.

I will attach a document for a Christopher Todd of Byer Green I think 1690's where he is a co-signatory on a petition to the Bishop to attempt to keep a widow in her home after the death of her husband, apparently they were normally just thrown out.

Defining just who is who in the years preceeding the 1750's is very difficult, insufficient information in the Bishops records and the nameing patterns with so many with same name makes it almost impossible with any certainty.

If I can be of assistance just PM me.

Cheers
Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 November 13 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Please forgive me but I am getting a little confused by Robert Todd! I have checked some trees on Ancestry which give his birth as 1743 (not 1753 or 1756) buried 1802, and this Robert Todd married a Mary Newby and had children, all at Auckland? Apparently like you said he was the son of William Todd and Jane Rowell?
Somehow I don't think this is the Robert Todd who married Mary Asquith in 1782 at Houghton le Spring.
Any help or ideas? :)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 November 13 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Alex,

I gave you the baptisms of the children of Robert Todd and Mary Asquith that were baptised during the Barrington era as that gives nativity of the parents.  Robert--Byers Green, Mary--Sedgefield.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 November 13 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Confused? Not as much as me!!

Neil

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 November 13 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janis,
            I am still a little confused (my apologies!) - not with the baptisms which states Robert Todd of Byers Green, and Mary Asquith of Sedgefield.
My confusion is due to people saying that Robert Todd was born 1743 and buried 1802 at Auckland? I believe this Robert Todd married a Mary Newby at Auckland St Andrew and had children there.
Also why would Robert Todd have a child at Bishopwearmouth in 1802 then go to Auckland in the same year to die and be buried? Plus there is confusion over the birth dates. I know that a baptism date doesn't mean that a person was born the same year, however the IGI gives a different burial date at Bishopwearmouth for a Robert Todd born 1756 which I am sure is mine.
The information I was given via Rootschat is that Robert Todd was born 1740's, son of a William Todd and Jane Rowell?
Just really confused as to who is the parents of Robert Todd? ??? :) :)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 November 13 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Mary Newby 1733-1789 Married Robert Todd 1733-1782 at Auckland St Andrews.

Neil

Modified Given that a Robert Todd lived somewhere near the Church at Bishopwearmouth as they used it to Bapt their children then it was practically impossible to move across 30 kilometers or 20 Miles to Auckland St Andrews for a Burial at 4 miles an hour this would take half a day. ??? Even though he may have been at Byers Green when he died not where his children were baptised ???

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 November 13 19:27 GMT (UK) »
I might add that I have been in contact with over a hundred people over the past few years and have handed out my tree. This has been copied adinfinitum some with their own variations and typo's, or versions of the truth. Most of these people are actually no relation to Todd but have a fleeting marriage some 200-300 years ago in their extensive trees. Some of these extensive trees appear on either Ancestry or Genes Reunited, none contain much research, but are copies off various other trees.

You could, instead of looking at ancestry do the thousands of hours of research that I have done or you could not. Take your pick, me I know exactly where I am, just confused as to what others want. ::)

Neil :D

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 November 13 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all,
            Am getting really confused with Robert Todd. All I have is that he married Mary Asquith in 1782 at Houghton le Spring. It states both of this parish which could basically mean anything! Mary Asquith was born around 1760, daughter of a William Asquith and Alice Chipchase who married at Sedgefield in 1758.
William Asquith (father of Mary Asquith who married Robert Todd) according to the marriage record bonds for 1758, was born around 1735 at Fishburn near Sedgefield (his wife Alice Chipchase was baptised at Sedgefield). This William Asquith (born c 1735) was buried at Bishopwearmouth on 21 December 1825.

Robert Todd and Mary Todd (nee Asquith) had the following issue: William Todd 15 July 1783 Houghton le Spring, Alice Todd 15 October 1786 Houghton le Spring, Mary Todd 12 August 1787 Houghton le Spring, Ann Todd 5 October 1789 Houghton le Spring, Elizabeth Todd born April 12 baptised 21 June Sunderland, Sarah Todd 1 September 1799 Bishopwearmouth and Hannah Todd born May 5 baptised 20 June 1802 Bishopwearmouth.

I have checked Durham Records online and there is a record for Robert Todd born c 1756 buried 27 May 1815 Bishopwearmouth (of Back Gars). There is also a burial record on Durham Records online for a Mary Todd born c 1760 buried 2 April 1832 Bishopwearmouth. Seems to me the right family, especially if William Asquith, father of Mary Asquith (who married Robert Todd) was buried at Bishopwearmouth also?

Still doesn't help with parents of a Robert Todd born 1756 Byers Green??!!!

Will have to have a good look at all the Robert Todds and see what happens. :)