Author Topic: birth look up in Thirsk please  (Read 520 times)

Offline gillygirly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
birth look up in Thirsk please
« on: Sunday 10 November 13 20:43 GMT (UK) »
My great-great grandmother, Charlotte Crowe, was born about 1857 in Thirsk, Hull.

Her mother Jane Maria Munford b.1830 married Henry Crowe b.1835 in Norwich, Norfolk in 1853. They had a son Henry b.1855.

Jane and Henry were both born in Norwich as were at least 2 generations before them. I cannot find any family connections to Hull or work out why Jane may have gone to Hull to have Charlotte.

However there are more twists to the tale. In 1861 Jane is in Norwich, as Housekeeper to a John Bayes who is listed as father to both Charlotte and Henry jnr. In 1871 Jane and John are married and Charlotte is listed as born in Norwich.

Could someone look up Charlotte's birth for me please? Could she have been born in Thirsk Workhouse?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: birth look up in Thirsk please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 November 13 20:59 GMT (UK) »
From freebmd

Births September qtr 1857
Charlotte Crowe   Hull  9d 189

There doesn't seem to be any online baptism for her so you would need to buy a copy of her birth cert to confirm her parentage

What name does Charlotte  give for her father on her marriage cert
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline gillygirly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 November 13 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking Carol

I'm waiting for the marriage certificate to arrive and was just sending for Charlotte's birth certificate when your message came through.

I was wondering if there are any records for Thirsk Workhouse online?

Gill

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 November 13 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If Charlotte had been born in the Thirsk WH - her birth would have been registered in the Thirsk registration district - not Hull

In 1861 - her birthplace is Hull - no mention of Thirsk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline gillygirly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 November 13 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Ah thanks that's very helpful. I hadn't noticed before but the first, in fact the only, mention of Thirsk is in 1881 the other Census all say Hull.

Where on earth would Charlotte have got Thirsk from? I can't imagine how she would have even heard of it......... unless there was, after all, a family connection.

Gill

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 November 13 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Thirsk and Hull are approx 60miles apart so it's possibly just an error on the 1881.  At least she was still shown as b Yorkshire - I've known many entries where the actual county of birth is different on various censuses ::)

Offline gillygirly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 November 13 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes I get that, but it seems amazing, at the time the Census was taken in 1881, that Charlotte was obviously aware that she was born in Hull, but between them she and the enumerator came up with Thirsk in 1881. Very odd that.......
Anyway I think I can safely forget Thirsk and concentrate on Hull - so a positive outcome  ;D

many thanks Gill