Author Topic: Thomas Patrick Blake,  (Read 11934 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Patrick Blake,
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Wonder could he have been using his deceased brothers birth cert for some reason or other, best of luck ,Dathai.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Think I may have gotten to the bottom of this

Marriage of Thomas BLAKE with a match to a Bridget COWLEY in 1863 in the Ballina District

There is a baptism in Kilglass on July 13th 1870 of a Thomas Patrick BLAKE
born July 3rd 1870
son of Thomas and Bridget CAWLEY
sponsors Patrick and Catherine CONLEY

This seems to definitely confirm that he is the same man

There is a baptism in the same parish of a James William BLAKE in 1872

I believe the record on familysearch.org is mistranscribed and that the family had one son named Thomas Patrick who aged slowly! Being 29 in 1901 when he was actually 31; 36 in 1911 when he was actually 41!

The family then seem to be
1 Martin George Bap Kilglass Feb 16 1864
2 Mary Anne Bap Kilglass Dec 06 1865 possibly married in 1886
3 Sarah Elizabeth Bap Strangford 1867
4 Thomas Patrick Bap Kilglass Jul 13 1970
5 James William Bap Kilglass Sep 02 1872 possibly the one who died aged 13
6 Edward John Bap Kilglass Mar 16 1875
7 Fanny Catherine Bap Kilglass Feb 14 1878
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, now for his marriage , I  am assuming he and Bridget married in Ireland, as I have checked our Catholic church, and they didn't marry there, this is a very rural area, I do wonder why he chose Dalton , it was an iron ore mining town, usually people moved to Barrow rather than Dalton, but do not go to to much trouble as you  have both helped me immensely,

FindMyPast have a record for him, on the Kilglass war memorial,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 15:33 GMT (UK) »
I have just found a fantastic report about Thomas Blake,

in brief,

Thomas Patrick Blake ,originally from Kilglass in Sligo, he worked for the Ordance survey in Ireland ,before moving to Dalton In Furness ,in the 1890s to take up employment in the local iron ore mines at Roanhead,he had joined the terretorials before 1908,when they were still volunteers,and was the company cook for the Dalton in Furness detachment,he landed in France on the 3rd of May 1915 and died 6 weeks later ,
His original service number was 703 , 
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 17:09 GMT (UK) »
That's marvellous, glad to be of help
It would be lovely to find out exactly who Bridget was but I cannot see a marriage in Ireland or the UK immediately. If Thomas travelled to Dalton in the 1890s and in 1901 Bridget was just 26 they may have married outside Ireland. Scotland may be a location if Thomas travelled from Sligo to the UK via Belfast.

Our president recently, speaking at El Salvador’s Monument to Memory and Truth, said
"“to be forgotten is to die twice” but that any attempt to stop remembering the people who died in conflict was “to die three times”"

Giving a place in history to those forgotten is a noble deed.

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Dalton is only small, but a very tightly knit community,we all work together.
All our infant children were taken to the cenotaph to lay a wreath average age 5 years old ,as well as one of my paper girls playing the last post,we have been taught to respect those that have died in the war, myself I lost quite a few great Uncles, so was very aware from an early age, we were not allowed to for get,
Thanks again for your replies,
I may be back,
Gillian,

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 15 November 13 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I see you say his wife died in 1908 did you get her death cert,from watching ''Heir Hunters'' on tv i saw that English death certs can be very informative sometimes giving maiden names and dates of birth.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 15 November 13 14:38 GMT (UK) »
No  :)I wont be following up by buying certs as this is a community project for next year, and I have a lot of soldiers on my allocated list , it would only give her husbands name if he was the informant ,and cause of death, plus age, I have asked a church warden if its possible to check our local Catholic church records, as sadly we have no Parish priest due to cut backs ,ours has moved on to a bigger Parish,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 15 November 13 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I see you say his wife died in 1908 did you get her death cert,from watching ''Heir Hunters'' on tv i saw that English death certs can be very informative sometimes giving maiden names and dates of birth.

English death certificates for that period are the same as Irish ones and do not list maiden name or date of birth.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!