Author Topic: William Woodruff sailed to Australia in 1905, I am looking for his death  (Read 3031 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Woodruff sailed to Australia in 1905, I am looking for his death
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 November 13 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Another article dated 30th December 1921 has a William Woodruff of Evandale locked up for vagrancy as a YOUNG MAN. ???

I see no reason for the poster to believe that the William WOODRUFF sought ever stayed in Australia. He could have gone back to England or indeed anywhere.

Neil

I believe the 1921 item refers to WILLLIAM CHARLES WOODRUFF.
He had many charges of vagrancy.

The 1907 item refers  to the older William WOODRUFF.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 02:13 GMT (UK) »
From linked thread...

There is an 1864 b William Woodruff (aged 41) travelling out to Sydney Australia on 16 Oct 1905 on the Coolgarlie ,as a general steward,original location Kent.

He did not sail to Sydney in 1905. The information has been misinterpreted.  Kent is the crew persons place of birth on the manifest or in this case, Of What Town.

The information has come from an online subscription site that shows crew as unassisted immigrants ::) ::).

W WOODRUFF  born c1864  41 years  Origin Kent.
Port of Departure - Geraldton, Fremantle, Adelaide and Melbourne
These are Australian Ports

Port of Arrival    Sydney, New South Wales
Voyage Arrival Date    16 Oct 1905
Vessel Name  COOLGARDIE not Coolgarlie.

http://www.flotilla-australia.com/images/coolgardie-a637078r.jpg

The COOLGARDIE was a coastal trader only and did not sail between the UK and Australia.  My grandfather was a marine engineer and worked on the coastal traders prior to his marriage in 1910.   He was on the COOLGARDIE between 1899 and 1903.  He is listed as crew on many other vessels on that website.

Many of the records on the linked site are for coastal traders only.   You need to note the port of departure when viewing the scans.

Cando

Edited to add Of What Town to manifest information.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 02:24 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't help me when both country or date is not shown on these Electoral rolls!

Not only is the state, but the year, electoral division and sub divisons are shown on the Australian Electoral Rolls.  The electors full address and occupation is also listed.

Cando

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 04:02 GMT (UK) »
So a William WOODRUFF not John W WOODRUFF who was born in Kent not DERBYSHIRE Worked on a coastal trader out of perth the COOLGARDIE not Coolgarlie in 1905 and did not sail from Dover in 1905 as a Navvy or in the Navy but as a ships steward.

All this wonderful information from a paid subscription site, wow :o

Neil :-\
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Your person of interest is William WOODRUFF on  the 1891 census and John W WOODRUFF on the 1901.  Just because Ancestry gives the hint it may be the same man on the COOLGARDIE in 1905 as crew from Geraldton WA to Sydney NSW and on the electoral roll in Tasmania, doesn’t prove it is your man.   Have you searched for his death in the UK?  It is possible he may have changed his name if he had deserted his family.

Cando

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Any help need to trace this man's death.

Regards,
Desperate,
Calmar :)

Have you eliminated this chap?

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/
1930, March Quarter, WOODRUFF, John W,  65, Darlington 10a 26

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline calmar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much for your observations on my gt uncle, the rascal!!!

You seem to have come to the same conclusions as myself, ie can't say for definite where he lived and died after 1905 when he left his wife and children. I am now leaning towards Rosball's comment in that he may have moved around in the English ports/towns and I suppose could have moved as far as London area. BUT I haven't found a death for him so far, hence my trying the Australian search.

The chap William Charles in NE England is not mine. I traced a William Woodruff from that area also who did not fit either.

William was actually christened John William but is always referred to as William when he reached maturity.

In 1901 he is listed as a Navvy on census so if he  continued that line of work he could have moved around quite a lot!! I had wondered if he was still a reserve for the forces as well, but nothing shows for him. 1891 has him as a Ships Stoker.

He was also not with his father in 1901 in Sheffield. He did have two sisters who went to USA but does not appear to be living with either of them at this time.

Again my thanks for your responses. Looks like it will have to be left - death not known.

Kind regards,
Calmar
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
Brown, Limerick
Woodruff, Glossop, Dover Kent, Sheffield
Winterbottom, Sheffield
Gledhill, Halifax and Sheffield
Wright, Derbyshire/Sheffield
Swift, Lincolnshire, Sheffield
Poole, Stoke Edith, Hereford
Cowham, Lincolnshire and Sheffield
Ibbotson, Sheffield

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Now why would anyone want to do that, give up.  ::)

Just when we found his correct name and that he was married lived in Kent, worked on ships and possibly roads. Did not go to Australia, one less continent ;D Did have sisters ? who went to America, had Parents William and Mary who died where ? when ?. Also that he left his wife sometime prior to 1904 and also his children ? and ? and ?

Now where did he go at age c38?

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline calmar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Neil, I do not want to give up but my efforts to find him have not been conclusive and it also seems that others are having the same problems as I have done! :(.

Just to give a brief summary to interested parties who like a challenge!

John William was actually born in Gibraltar in 1864 when his father (William) was a soldier in the 3rd Reg of Foot (The Buffs).

Mary, his wife, died in 1952 in Kent.
Parents both died in Sheffield, Yorkshire, William, his father in 1918 and Mary, his mother in 1893.
He wasn't with them when they moved to Sheffield and I haven't found him in  this area with my searches for other siblings.

The two sisters in USA are Ravina?Rovina born Dublin 1868 and Ada Kathleen born Dover 1874.  Ada came back to Dover  a couple of times with her husband and her daughter. No sign of him then.

I appreciate all help given and will keep looking myself, but my experience is not brilliant so the need to ask you lovely people out there to assist me.

Kind regards,
Calmar
 :)
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
Brown, Limerick
Woodruff, Glossop, Dover Kent, Sheffield
Winterbottom, Sheffield
Gledhill, Halifax and Sheffield
Wright, Derbyshire/Sheffield
Swift, Lincolnshire, Sheffield
Poole, Stoke Edith, Hereford
Cowham, Lincolnshire and Sheffield