Author Topic: William Woodruff sailed to Australia in 1905, I am looking for his death  (Read 3035 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: William Woodruff sailed to Australia in 1905, I am looking for his death
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 22:50 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=497584.0  ( a current thread on the Australian Board re John William WOODRUFF, Did he emigrate to Australia???)

Hi there,

Back in Nov 2010, Dundee posted on the above thread (re the Passenger and Crew lists on Ancestry, and Calmar’s query re a Steward on a ship going to Australia in 1905

“Hi Calmar,

I don’t think this is your man.   I followed W. WOODRUFF around the country as a steward and he always has the same details including being born in Kent (one entry says Deale).  In 1907 he is named as Walter WOODRUFF.  …..  Walter does appear on the Victorian 1914 electoral roll as a steward.”

Like Neil,  I don't like to see RChatters "give up" so I spent some considerable time last evening searching through the mariners website and was about to post my results this morning, when I decided to check if any RChatter was looking for a Walter WOODRUFF and I THEN  ::) discovered I have been duplicating  :-X  :-X the efforts undertaken by Dundee back three years ago. 

May I simply note that I concur with Dundee's post; it seems to me that the chap on the coastal traders was known by his given name of Walter.

http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline calmar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Well I never!! I had forgotten that thread JM. Must be getting old. ;D

However, I have now got some concrete evidence for William and his wife. They separated about 1903, he having left her and she had to go into the workhouse with children. It is in the newspaper for Dover so that solves that little problem. But that still leaves his death!!!! ???

My thanks to you for looking for me.
Kind regards,
Calmar
 :)
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
Brown, Limerick
Woodruff, Glossop, Dover Kent, Sheffield
Winterbottom, Sheffield
Gledhill, Halifax and Sheffield
Wright, Derbyshire/Sheffield
Swift, Lincolnshire, Sheffield
Poole, Stoke Edith, Hereford
Cowham, Lincolnshire and Sheffield
Ibbotson, Sheffield

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 23:49 GMT (UK) »
They still had workhouses in 1903 ???

Anyway.... How do you know he left her about 1903, could it have been earlier? Also how many children, their ages, birth year, christian name, did Mary remarry at anytime? So sorry about all the questions but we need to get a better handle on what went on  :P

When you say on other threads about ruling out people by that name, how did you go about that? Reason I say this is people change, marriages fall apart, sometimes no ones fault, but one walks off never to see the kids again or do they ;) Sometimes we THINK we know what happened then blow us down it wasn't that at all, just looked that way.

If you could fill some gaps I believe I have a couple of possibles. MAYBE ::)

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads