Author Topic: Benjamin Baskerville in Tipperary  (Read 7879 times)

Offline nursesmm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Baskerville in Tipperary
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 November 13 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, this has turned out to be the best site.  Very helpful folks.  I figured Baskerville was most likely English or French and my Cowan's in Antrim were definitely Scottish.

Offline smckeag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 July 23 19:49 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if you're still looking for information, but I have quite a bit of information on the Baskerville family from Traverston, Tipperary. Parents are John Baskerville and Sarah Hardy. If you would like to connect, let me know :)

Offline BobbiMc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 November 23 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Baskerville was born in Tipperary county, Ireland in 1829.  He came to Canada with his parents, Benjamin Baskerville and Sarah Martin, when he was about ten years old and settled in Kingston.  As a young man he was a sailor and in 1847 moved to Beverly Township where he farmed the north half of Lot 34 on the 7th Concession.  He married Charlotte Shaver of Westover.  They had six daughters, Mahala, Mary Ann, Hortence, Agness, Margaret, and Louise. The family moved to Dundas in 1867 where he was a butcher for 28 years.  He served three different terms as councilor for Valley Ward.  The family resided in the home at the corner of King and Napier (Block 13, Lot 12) which is still there.  His shop was located on the same property.  Charlotte died in 1892 and Thomas in 1895 at the age of 65.  His eldest daughter, Mahala, married James McEwan of Dundas.  They resided in the Baskerville home after the death of Thomas.  James worked as a machinist at Bertram’s for 54 years having started as an apprentice at age 14.  His family are also early pioneers of Wentworth County having come to Dundas in 1841.  Mary Ann married T.J. Statham of Chicago and they took up residence in Strathroy where she died in 1938.  Agness was a school teacher in Dundas.  At a young age she went to India as a Baptist missionary for over forty years where she operated a school for girls.  Louise died young, at the age of 19, in 1891 of Tuberculosis.  She, along with her father, mother and sisters Agness and Mahala are buried in the family plot in the Grove Cemetery, Dundas.

Offline Illibarth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Tracing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 March 24 14:32 GMT (UK) »
They were Protestant.  I have not found a connection to the Caswells (though they keep showing up).  My family bible states it was county Tipperary, I believe there is a Youghal there, in North Tipperary--I had thought that might be it.  The bible belonged to MaryAnn's husband John Cowan from Antrim and he might have spelled it by how it sounded and she was younger than 10 when she immigrated to Canada.  MaryAnn was also born there.  Thank you for your answer.
There is a townland called Youghal in the civil parish of Youghalarra in north Tipperary. The Church of Ireland records for Youghalarra are in Castletownarra parish.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 March 24 07:31 GMT (UK) »

There is a townland called Youghal in the civil parish of Youghalarra in north Tipperary. The Church of Ireland records for Youghalarra are in Castletownarra parish.

Links-

https://www.townlands.ie/tipperary/owney-and-arra/youghalarra/castletown/youghal/

South-east of the village of Garrykennedy.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5442282#map=12/52.8898/-8.2985

***Edited to Add***

Civil Parish of Castletownarra
https://www.townlands.ie/tipperary/castletownarra/

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5484835#map=12/52.8787/-8.3280
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo