Author Topic: Maltese family  (Read 2321 times)

Offline vicnscott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maltese family
« on: Monday 11 November 13 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am trying to find out more information about my great great grandmother Carmena Parnise and her family.
The information I have is that she was born in 1882 in Casal Paula, Malta.  She married Edward Joseph Attrill in 1903 (He was there with the army)  I think they had 14 children.  Their oldest, Joseph Edward was born in Ricasoli, Malta in 1903.

I can find out information about the Attrill family but I don't know where to start with Parnise.  I know there is another spelling of Parnis and Ive also come across Carmena written as Carmela.  So far I have only found one other website which mentions them but not any more information.

Any information or a point in the right direction of finding more about Carmena's parents would be much appreciated. 

Many thanks in advance
Atterill

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Maltese family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 November 13 15:03 GMT (UK) »
The marriage appears on the Malta Family History website - gives the date as 1902 and she is listed as Carmela Parnis - http://website.lineone.net/~remosliema/chap1900.htm.
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 November 13 15:18 GMT (UK) »
There are also some Parnis's mentioned in the voter's lists and the Malta Directory on the same website :)
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline senteacher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 12:42 GMT (UK) »
If you know where the family of Parnis(e) were from, you need to try to find someone who can check the church records. I've found it virtually impossible to do the Maltese side of my tree as the parishes keep their records and no-one (as far as I am aware) has transcribed them.
Stewart, Gray, Bews (Orkney/Tyneside), Byrne (Ireland; England; USA; Canada),Colvin (Tyneside), Dingwall (Moray/Tyneside), Harforth (Yorks/Tyneside), Frater (Ntblnd/Durham), McGee (Nc/le-Tyne), Ormston(Ntblnd/Durham), Potts (Nc/le-Tyne), Pye (Ntblnd /Norfolk), Robson (Ntblnd/Durham), Sanderson (Ntblnd/Durham), Screech(Devon/Yorks) Stott (Ntblnd/Durham), Summers (Ntblnd), Tinline (Scotland, England, Australia, New Zealand and S. Africa), Tate (Ntblnd), Urwin (Ntblnd/Durham

Offline vicnscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi thank you for your replies.  I have searched that website and can't find much more information.  I only know the place Carmena was born and also her eldest son.  Looks like Ill have to cross my fingers that someone from malta will read this and is able to access records lol. Many thanks anyway, vicki
Atterill

Offline rachelselway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 May 14 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I would suggest first ordering her birth certificate if not their marriage certificate.
You can order it online and they will post overseas.
https://secure2.gov.mt/certifikati/

If you order their marriage certificate it will give the name of her parents and her age.
Then you can order her birth cert or her parents marriage certificate next.

If you have some more concrete dates you can also write to the diocese - actually they are all online now so you can actually email them.
If and when they have time they will look the baptism up in their parish records.

The majority of the Adami collection is now online which is the Maltese marriages and you can look at them here:
http://www.geneanum.com/malte.html

The marriage you are looking for is not on there as it was not a Catholic marriage - but if you can get her marriage cert. and find out her parents names then you should be able to find their marriage in this database and it is searchable.
The database will also give you both bride and groom's parents and the parish they were from.
Marriages normally took place in the brides diocese (sorry, I always get my parishes and diocese mixed up.  Too much English family history!)

You can also manipulate the database - so for instance if you want to find Parnis, click on the column that says Grooms surname and it will list them alphabetically - you can also do this for the date and for the bride's surname.
So if you find her father and mother's marriage and want to see if her father had any siblings married, you can just scroll up and down about 10 years either side and see if any other Parnis' were married with the same father and mother.

There is also a website that has the chr, marriage and death records on but they only have microfilmed a few parishes so far and Paolo is not one of them.  But this is the website you want to go through to find the email to contact the diocese and ask them to look them up.
http://archives.maltadiocese.org/default.aspx

Good luck and let me know if you need any further help.

Rachel nee Gatt

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 May 14 08:15 BST (UK) »
http://en.geneanet.org/search/?name=parnis&ressource=arbre
have a look through the trees on this link
good luck
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Kattrill

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 October 23 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Carmela was my grandmother. Here is a photograph of her marriage certificate

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12RxJ3yRki4b8WBqHdih5k9qdA2ndNCoc/view?usp=drivesdk