Author Topic: O' Sullivan, James & Ancestors/Descendants  (Read 3160 times)

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
O' Sullivan, James & Ancestors/Descendants
« on: Monday 11 November 13 14:50 GMT (UK) »
James O' Sullivan (Born 1910-Died 1988) Wife Mary O' Connor (Born 1911-Died 1954) of Bantry Co. Cork

James O' Sullivan's Parents were John O' Sullivan and Mary Ellen O' Leary
Mary Ellen O' Leary had a Sister Kathleen O' Leary

Mary O' Connor had a Brother William "Willie" Bryan O' Connor of Glengarriff Co. Cork
Mary and William O' Connors Parents were Bryan O' Connor and Hanora O' Shea

Hanora O' Shea remarried after the passing of Bryan
Hanora O' Shea married Timothy Crowley and had two more children Joan Crowley and Timothy (Tim) Crowley.

I believe Tim Crowley moved to Toronto Canada

That is all the information I have regarding James O' Sullivan's side of the family. Any help would be appreciated.
Moore, Kiernan, O' Sullivan, O' Connor
Other names I know of are:
O' Shea, O' Leary, Guilfoyle (Kilfoyle), Davis, Barrett, O' Neil, McKenna, Donlon, Flanagan, Lynn and McLoughlan

Offline oldkingkole

• RootsChat Extra
  • west Cork and around Cork Harbour
    • View Profile
Re: O' Sullivan, James & Ancestors/Descendants
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 November 13 02:03 GMT (UK) »
You seem to have lots of information so it should be easy to know more?.     
It's not clear if you've got James parents marriage cert…now that's straight forward to do?
The following seems to be the best fit  via Ancestry where there is  a potential spouse John Sullivan.   
Mary Ellen O'Leary  Jan-Feb-Mar 1901   Bantry   Volume: 5   Page 15.
You can search around on FamilySearch to double check what's likely and order from the GRO.

Also  look at the 1911 census: if you search for Mary Ellen (O)Sullivan's who are married in Cork you find three matches in Cork but only one in west Cork.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Woodfort/Kilnaclasha/441642/

Mary Ellen turns out to have a husband John P and they have a son James Augustine Sullivan aged 7mths. !!
To double check if you search James Sullivan's aged 0 -2 in the 1911 census none fit with these parental names except this above family.
So this looks like your family.however I noticed on an old post you thought your grandfather, James, was an only child..this family have several children ….. so either this is the incorrect family or you are on the trail of something very interesting.
Given it's unclear I've left the searching at this point…but if this is your family there is now a lot to followup. Marriage cert, birth certificates, contact Skibbereen heritage Centre for baptismal info, etc.
Other clues  are that  John P is at the same house in 1901 with sister Maggie and brother Patrick.
Also the Post family of the servant mentioned in 1911maybe relatives. You'll find them in Kilcoe in 1901 census., Ballydehob in 1911.
Could this be your family?
Padraig
O Driscoll, McCarthy, Collins, Fitzgerald, Johnson, Gunn, Swanton, Barry, O'Neill, O'Mahony,
O Donoughue, O Mahony, Connolly, Cadogan.

Offline oldkingkole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 November 13 23:09 GMT (UK) »
I re-read my post as something was bothering me...then I recalled that on the 1911 census the John and Mary Ellen Sullivan family I found were down as married for 6 years.

So this couple cannot be the ones from the marriage certificate that I located in JFM 1901.

Couldn't find a certificate around 1905 that might be a closer match on either ancestry or FamilySearch for this family. You should recheck  this if you think this family is possibly yours.

Equally if John Sullivan and Mary Ellen O'Leary were married in JFM 1901 then they would be married in the 1901 census which was taken for the night of the 31st March 1901.

Used various combinations on the 1911 census to find a John(O)Sullivan married for approx 8-11 years but no match of interest. I'd still consider ordering this 1901 cert if you think there's a chance.

Looks like the easiest thing to do is to try and find  Jame's birth cert from 1910 if you already haven't.

Genealogy can be a  confusing trail or is that 'trial'?
Padraig

O Driscoll, McCarthy, Collins, Fitzgerald, Johnson, Gunn, Swanton, Barry, O'Neill, O'Mahony,

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 November 13 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Padraig

Thanks for all the info but I don't think they are the same people I am looking for unfortunately. I did a bit of digging (Spoke to my Mum) and she says James' full name is James Michael O' Sullivan from Coomhola, West Cork. Coomhola is between Bantry and Glengarriff.

I think there may be a possibility they did not partake in either Census.

Next time I am home in Cork I will see if I can get birth certificates if its possible.

I really appreciate your help on this though.

Alan
O' Shea, O' Leary, Guilfoyle (Kilfoyle), Davis, Barrett, O' Neil, McKenna, Donlon, Flanagan, Lynn and McLoughlan

Offline oldkingkole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 08:40 GMT (UK) »
I think that extra information is important.
As you say Coomhola is between Bantry and Glengariff so I think that's probably around the Townlands of Mill Big(more) and Mill Little (beg).
There is a Birth Cert in Civil Registraration from Jun 1911 Bantry for a James Michael O'Sullivan.. This is after the 1911 census.....Are you sure of the 1910 birth date that you gave?
Also since we've started.... do you have any thoughts on the idea of having only one child?
Padraig

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 19:08 GMT (UK) »
As far as I am aware and my Mother is aware her father was definitely born in 1910 (October we believe) it could be a case that his birth wasn't registered until July 1911 since they were rural and probably rarely went to Bantry for anything.

I don't quite understand your last question but if you were asking if he was an only child then as far as we know yes he was.

Alan