Author Topic: Imisons of Horsehouse, Yorkshire  (Read 19088 times)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Imisons of Horsehouse, Yorkshire
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

I'll get back to you with the details. Uddevalla is very close to Nyborg. I know Uddevalla pretty well. We go there every year. I can add though, I haven't been to Ljung.
Just ask the questions you need to know.
Yes, I saw your thread in the Europe section.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 09 January 14 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,
Not everything in the Swedish Books will be on FamilySearch. You gave an Edward earlier from FamilySearch and I started from there and went through many Edwards born in 1837 with those dates. This Edward seemed to fit all the criteria.
About Anders.... I knew his birth date (roughly, as sometimes the dates aren't correct). I then went through the birth books and found an Anders that fitted and then methodically went through all the Anders Andersson Censuses and went back to his birth date. It is the right Anders.

Johanna:
Name: Johanna Hellena
Born: 26 Dec 1796
Bapt: 28 Dec 1796
Mother's name: Housemaid - Anna Olufsdotter 26 years old
Father's name: "Given as" Dragoon Jonas Long

Because the priest wrote "given as" is a little suspect. Could suggest that they weren't married at the time.
Johanna was born in Kungälv.

Here are all Edvard's Siblings:
Carl b. 3 Dec 1828
Gustaf b. 22 March 1830
Herman b. 10 Oct 1831
Anna Johanna b. 3 March 1833
Christina b. 21 Sep 1835
Edvard b. 4 Oct 1837

The grand-daughter's name is Gustafwa Christina Sandsten. And the mother is Anna Johanna.
I said earlier that Herman could be Ewward's uncle. Well, it was actually his brother.

Ian

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 01 May 14 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,
I have been looking at this side of my tree again and was wondering if your are able to find a death for Anna Joanna who was my great, great grandfather Edward Anderson's sister and mother to Gustafwa Christina Sandsten. She was the only grandchild showing on the household record. I feel in my heart that you have found his family and this is the right family pedigree. However, I am struggling with the 'Oliver' connection. Why would Edward name his father as Oliver? Was it common for people to 're-name' to avoid confusion? I cannot find anyone else with the same date of birth so it must be him yet there is an element of doubt.
Can I please thank you again for the previous research. I will be eternally grateful.

Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 02 May 14 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie again, nice to hear from you again....

Here is Anna Johanna's death:
Sandsten born: Andersdotter, Anna Johanna
Lived at: Qviström as a poor woman.
Dead: 12 Feb 1912 and buried 28 feb 1912
Cause: Asthma
Registered in Västra Tunhem.
Born: 3 March 1833 in Ljung (Göteborgs och Bohus län, Bohuslän).
Widow (27 Jan 1898).

Here is Anna Johanna's family in 1890 Vänersborg:
Sandstén, Johan Ferdinand - b. 1828 - Father
Andersson, Anna Johanna - b. 1833 - Mother
Johan Oswald - b. 1862 - Child
Augusta Josefina - b. 1871 - Child

Here is Gustafva's family in 1895 in Foss:
Fredriksson, Johan Alfred - b. 1860 - Father
Sandsten, Gustafva Christina - b. 1859    - Mother
Alma Fredrika - b. 1881 - Child
Anna Elvira   - b. 1883   - Child
Gustaf Adolf - b. 1886 - Child
Hilma Maria - b. 1891 - Child
Carl Johan - b. 1895 - Child

Gustafva died in Foss on 28 March 1895 from complications of the birth of Carl Johan. She was buried 7 April 1895.

Yes, I am also sure that this is the right family but I don't know why he used the name Oliver. I would also like to add that not all Swedish records are on Familysearch.

Ian

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 03 May 14 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,
Thank you so much for getting back to me. I am grateful for the information.
I have recently returned to this after solving a mystery with my paternal grandmother's side. (Mallinders of Sheffied posting) I was helped enormously by people like yourself. I discovered that I couldn't find my great grandmother's birth because the name on her marriage certificate was different to the one on her birth record as her father changed his name to his grandparent's name probably to stake a claim on the family business.
The reason I asked about Anna Johanna's death was that I was curious as to why she wasn't included in the Swedish Book for 1861-1868 and why the grandaughter Gustafva Christina was living in her grandfather's house and not with her parents. I assumed that she had been orphaned or at least her mother had died. How often were the household records taken?
The records show that she died in her seventies in 1912. Her brother Edward (my great, great grandfather) died in 1915. He is missing from the 1911 census and I have been unable to find him on ship. Now I am wondering if he made a trip to see his sister before she died. Just guessing.
I had the information for Gustarva's family but not for her father and siblings. The new information has thrown up several member family trees on Ancestry. It wil be pointless contacting them though as I am unable to speak the language.
Edward named his father as Oliver - Master Mariner but the household records show his father as Anders Anderson and you said that you were unable to find any evidence that he was a sailor. I suppose this will be one of the mysteries left unsolved.
I am trying to build a picture of his family's life and you have helped me to do this.
Thanks again Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie
Anna Johanna moved out to Uddevalla in 1855 and got married there in 1855 so she wasn’t present in that book. I am though having problems locating them after this up to 1890.
I don’t know why Gustafva was left behind. They then started a new family. Gustafva was born in 1859 and it looks like that she was sent to her grandparents.

Johan Ferdinand Sandsten was a "Furir" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furir).

Here is a good explanation of how these books work…. https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Sweden_Household_Examination_Records_(Husf%C3%B6rh%C3%B6rsl%C3%A4ngder)

Here is Johan Oswald’s death. I cannot find anything else yet.
Sandsten, Johan Osvald
Munkedals Factory
Dead: 25 June 1951.
Registered in Foss (Göteborgs och Bohus län, Bohuslän).
Born: 17 Sep 1862 in Grinneröd (Göteborgs och Bohus län, Bohuslän).
Widower (30 June 1948).

Regarding contacting the Swedish trees should pose no problem as nearly everyone speaks or understands English. You can try to contact them and if any problems arise ask them to contact me.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 12:56 BST (UK) »
Just noticed that the link to Familysearch doesn't work.
Solution: add a finishing bracket in the address at the end for that page ")". That works fine.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 08 May 14 00:40 BST (UK) »
On the image 1876 Census it states that Carl died around 7 Nov 1873. The death record states that he drowned in the Kattegat (The sea between Sweden and Denmark). He was unmarried. He was a sailor.

Hermann seems to have disappeared. He probably jumped ship somewhere. He was a sailor.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 08 May 14 00:47 BST (UK) »
I found this Inventory of Estate / Will for Anders Andersson. Here is the translation of it. I will send the images later.....

The year 1876 17 May the inventory of estate was written up for the widow Anders Andersson at Nyborg under Tjöstelsröd in Ljung Parish who died 17 January and left son Edvard, daughter Johanna married to Sandsten and daughter Christina married to Strömberg all lawfully responsible (could not translate the next bit properly as I didn’t understand it, but here goes)….. except for Strömberg who during the last hour of the deceased was exempted and thus the following agreed:

Cash at time of death: 3 crowns and 63 öre
1 silver tiepin: 1 crown
1 pair glasses and 1 teaspoon: 50 öre
Malt stored in pig sty: 51 crowns
Coat, trousers and vest: 10 crowns
Pair of old socks: 50 öre
Old slippers and shoes: 1 crown and 50 öre
Hats: 50 öre
Old scarves: 1 crown and 50 öre
1 cow hair blanket: 2 crowns and 50 öre
1 old pair sheets: 1 crown and 20 öre
1 bedside table and 2 tables: 6 crowns
1 cupboard: 5 crowns 10 öre
4 old boxes: 3 crowns and 60 öre
1 jewelry box: 75 öre
2 chairs: 50 öre
2 containers: 2 crowns and 50 öre
Shaving box and knife: 50 öre
1 weighing machine: 10 crowns
1 basin and 2 boxes: 1 crowns and 10 öre
Tools
6 old fishing line: 3 crowns
1 hand grinder: 3 crowns and 50 öre
1 old woven chair and skis: 4 crowns
1 baking tray: 3 crowns and 75 öre
2 iron pans: 1 crown and 75 öre
1 copper kettle and 4 coffee cups: 15 crowns
1 pan: 1 crown and 10 öre
2 scissors, 2 knives: 50 öre
1 measuring stick: 1 crown 30 öre
1 watering can, 1 lantern: 50 öre
1 plate: 25 öre
3 plant pots, 1 washing basin: 1 crown 25 öre
1 clothes brush, 3 baskets: 50 öre
1 bottle basket with bottles: 75 öre
1 yarn: 25 öre
1 corkscrew, 1 coffee grinder: 30 öre
1 saw: 50 öre

Gold and debts:
To daughter Christina according to 1867’s inventory of estate: 35 crowns
9 years interest @ 6%: 20 crowns
To Strömberg according to debt from 1868: 30 crowns
2 years interest: 3 crowns
Remaining from same debt: 11 crowns
Interest for 6 years: 6 crowns
According to debt for Samuel Persson in Solberg amortized by Strömberg: 20 crowns
Ditto 1870: 22 crowns
Interest for 6 years: 7 crowns
According to bill for Strömberg: 29 crowns
Funeral expenses: 75 crowns
For care and attention for these last 3 years for the deceased to Strömberg with 30 crowns per year: 90 crowns
Inventory of estate expenses: 9 crowns
Total debts: 365 crowns

Signed and approved by Em Strömberg