Author Topic: Imisons of Horsehouse, Yorkshire  (Read 19079 times)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Imisons of Horsehouse, Yorkshire
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 11:52 BST (UK) »
Here is the family in Gothenburg around 1899:
According to this record Olof Lång left for America in 1891.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 12:00 BST (UK) »
and here is Olof leaving Sweden:

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 13:05 BST (UK) »
I took a wee look for Olof coming back to England. There is a O S Long on the Norwegian from New York to Glasgow in 1892 and is on ancestry.

I hope you find a connection with these records. Maybe they can help you find Gustaf Andersson as a member of your Anderssons.

Ian

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 17:58 BST (UK) »
I really don't think I will every find a connection. This may just be a red herring. I found a few Albertina  Olofsdotter's on Familysearch with father Olof Andersson. I thought I had found the link to Edward's marriage certificate and him naming his father Oliver. Then you sent me the record today which shows Albertina's exact date of birth. I couldn't find it on Ancestry or Familysearch apart from one baptism in Torsby in May 1852. I looked on Ancestry member trees and there is a tree called Live4ever-Matilda - owner BimEngdahl which has Albertina Olofsdotter b. 8 Oct 1851 (as the record shows)Torsby, died after 1890 Gotesborgs Johan married to Olof Sverin Christiannsson Lang (which may correspond to  the O S Lang you found his returning to Glasgow.  b. 26 Oct 1851 in Brunnefjalli Torsby. (sorry I don't know how to get the correct symbols). All the children I have found - Hilma Lovisa Lang b. 2nd June 1877 Gotesborgs Domkyrko - Gustavi, Maria Constantia b. 2nd Nov 1880 (I found her death in Sunderland) Ameli Ellen Lang b. 1883 England, another Maria Constantia b. 1885 England. We know they were born in Sunderland. They have as Albertina's father Olof August Olsson and mother Laurina Andersdotter.
Sunderland is a port and it is not surprising that many foreigners lived there. It was just the Anderson and Long names together at the same address got me thinking. On the other hand Andersson is one of the most common Swedish names.
Julie
Is Lang pronounced with an 'a' or Long with an 'o'?
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 18:54 BST (UK) »
Lång is pronounced Long

Ian

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 17 May 14 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,
Sorry to ask but are you able to tell me what is written in the comment/remark? section of the 1847, 1852 and 1860 census/household examination. I have managed to print off some of the images and am currently going through them all to see if I can pick up anything. For example, in the 1847 record the entire family are crossed out. Does that mean they have moved?
Julie

Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 18 May 14 09:43 BST (UK) »
No problems, just ask....

1847 - "På Socknen 1847" = "In the Parish 1847". They moved, staying in the same Parish in 1847.
1852 - "Se sidan 149 för detta hushåll" = "See page 149 for this household".
1860 - "Inom Socknen" = "Inside the Parish". They moved staying in the same Parish.

Ian

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 18 May 14 12:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I am trying hard to translate the Swedish myself and have managed a little bit but because I am not familiar with the language it is difficult to even guess what it says. So it appears that they moved around a bit but stayed in the same parish. Eduard (Edward) was in Ljung in 1860 so I think that confirms that his first son William Joseph born 1860 may not be his. I have his birth record and it doesn't have a father's name. It is not impossible though if he was sailing back and forth to Sunderland. He was boarding with Caroline's sister and husband at the time of their marriage.
A couple of questions. On all of the census records before Johanna Lang's death it states her date of birth as 1799 but I have her birth record that you kindly sent me which states 1796. Why do you think that is? Maybe she was trying to reduce the age gap between her and Anders. Can you read what it says below the parent's names?
I have been looking at Eduard's birth/baptism record. I was able to translate the words vittne (witness) and med (with). So it reads witness Nils Andersson with  ? Anna Andersdotter. I am wondering who they are. I can't read the name before Anna. What does it say below that?
I am so grateful to have the images.
Julie

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 18 May 14 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,
I understand the problem with the Swedish. I'll tell you what I will do..... I will translate all the images for you so it will make it easier for you. Just give me a week and I will post them on to you. No problems.

Ian