Author Topic: 13 Princes Half Tide Dock Liverpool  (Read 5764 times)

Offline fridayjan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
13 Princes Half Tide Dock Liverpool
« on: Monday 11 November 13 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me with this address, and why it would be given as the place of death for a 14 year old?

I have the death certificate for my great aunt, Marian Mortimer Sides, which says that she died on 29 September 1921 at 13 Princes Half Tide Dock.  The cause of death was acute rheumatic fever and endocarditis, and my grandmother (her sister) was the informant and present at her death.

I've tried googling the address with no success, and have no relatives to ask, although I do remember being told that Marian was "sickly" and had a "deformed" arm.  Their father was a publican, and they had previously lived at the Castle Hotel at 50 Regent Road so I suppose it's possible they were visiting someone at Princes Dock when she was taken ill?
Skelly (Liverpool/Ayrshire/St Vincent)
Jones (Liverpool/Ruthin)
Mortimer (Wigan/Harrogate)
Dean (Leeds)
Wilmshurst (Liverpool/Deal)
Sides (Oswestry/Liverpool)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Re: 13 Princes Half Tide Dock Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 November 13 23:05 GMT (UK) »
I have used Google Earth
there is a Princes half Dock
Princes Parade
Liverpool
L3 0BU
Any good maybe the buildings have been demolished and the Parade put there
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 04:52 GMT (UK) »
If her sister  was the informant ,would it not be possible this is where her sister lived,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline fridayjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  Thanks for your replies.

I don't think her sister (my grandmother) was living at the Princes Dock address - the address she gave as informant was a different one, belonging to her aunt Kate.  (there's a long story here - wicked step-mother has a baby who dies and makes a comment along the lines of "why did my baby die when that cripple is still alive (Marian)" at which point my GM slaps step-mother and leaves the family home, taking Marian with her, to go and live with aunt Kate, who was her mother's best friend!).

My main puzzle is why would a 14 year old die in what was presumably a working area in 1921.  Could there have been a habour master's house or some such that she was visiting?

[I've just had a thought and will try looking through the census' to see if there is a residence at no. 13 - ahhah! why didn't I think of that earlier?!]
Jones (Liverpool/Ruthin)
Dean (Leeds)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 09:04 GMT (UK) »
You can see the area around Princes Half Tide Dock on the 1927 map at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=333667,391071 select the map from the list on the right. There is a Dock Master's Office. There don't seem to be any houses, are you sure it says 13?

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 13:43 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at a 1937 photo of this dock taken from the air and again could not see any houses, but this dock had access to the leeds Liverpool canal with a towpath so it may be more a magnet to children.  is it possible the canal boat berths were numbered, or the warehouses had numbered entrances.

mike

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 13:50 GMT (UK) »
it may not then have had access to the canal,  wiki is misleading me  :o :o

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline fridayjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 14:11 GMT (UK) »
I don't think the family had any connections with the canal, or at least no one in the family has ever mentioned it!

Having looked at the 1901 and 1911 census there do appear to be some residences with numbers, i.e. the pier master is at 11 Princes Graving Dock, but I couldn't find no. 13 mentioned.  However, there is a family living at a "receiving house" (whatever that is?) and I've found some entries on the Toxteth Park Cemetery site for people whose abode is given as "Dead House Princes Dock", so I wonder if there was some kind of hospital/mortuary in the area?

I suppose it's possible that Marian could have died suddenly while out and about (given her cause of death/medial history) and was taken to the nearest suitable place?
Jones (Liverpool/Ruthin)
Dean (Leeds)