Author Topic: John Bryding, Vicar of Lanchester  (Read 2280 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Bryding, Vicar of Lanchester
« on: Friday 15 November 13 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
    Can anyone help with the following few problems? (!).

An ancestor of mine, John Bryding was Vicar of Lanchester from 24 August 1695 until (I think?) his death in 1728 at Lanchester. Prior to this John was Schoolmaster at Newburn in Northumberland from 3 April 1682, until I think he came to Lanchester in the 1690's.
I have looked at what I can for records for him but cant find much at all. One record which I had years ago ( I think from Durham County History) said he was Scottish.

John married his first wife Jane who died in 1701 at Lanchester. Don't know her surname. They had: Jane 1681, Margaret 1682, Elizabeth 1684, John 1687 (all baptised Newburn) and Tabitha 1693 and Thomas 1695 (baptised Lanchester).

John re-married after Janes death a lady called Anne (surname unknown) who died in 1747 at Lanchester. They had: Benjamin 1706, Reuben 1708, John 1711 and possibly a son called Jonathan.

Benjamin Bryding (son of John and Ann) was born in 1706 at Lanchester and died in 1789 at Lanchester. This is the next part of my problem! Benjamin married a lady called Hannah who was baptised as an adult at Lanchester on 9 February 1736 (born Lanchester?). The records say she was formerly a Quaker. Cant find any records for her or for her marriage to Benjamin Bryding.

Hannah and Benjamin had the following: John 1730, Sarah 1732 - 1737, John 1734, Benjamin 1736, William 1737, Hannah 1739, Anne 1741, Jonathan 1743 and Benjaamin 1745 - 1746.

Any help with any of the above much appreciated! :)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Bryding, Vicar of Lanchester
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 November 13 16:01 GMT (UK) »
hi, record of Johns clergy career can be found at :

http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/search/index.jsp

he worked as curate in lanchester til 1705. full details of dates etc on site.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 November 13 16:16 GMT (UK) »
there are lots of Bryding PRs on Durham records online. you will need to buy credits to see full record. :

http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com

give you these 2 for starters....

Burials, Lanchester District - Record Number: 227839.2
Church: All Saints
Denomination: Anglican
27 Sep 1728 Rev`d John Bryding, late curate of Lanchester

Baptisms, Lanchester District - Record Number: 288771.0
Church: All Saints
Denomination: Anglican
8 Nov 1711 Jonathan Bryding, born 20 Oct 1711, 3rd son of John (minister of Lanchester) & Ann Bryding (2nd wife)

Diddy

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 November 13 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Diddy! I have searched Durham Records Online and also the Clergy database but thanks for taking the time to inform me anyway!
Will keep on looking!
Cheers, Andrew :)